Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes I win dumb question of the week....:rolleyes:

What kind of issues am I looking at by changing the crank and BB to a double set up while keeping the triple FD and RD?

9speed
Ultegra crank, BB, FD, RD and chain.

I am just tired of trying to run a triple set up. Can't seem to be able to use all three rings without some type of chain noise.

thanks a bunch

·
No Crybabies
11,692 Posts
probably

Probably.

Definitely with the RD, assuming you mean "long cage" rear derailleur. Long cage works with anything.

The front derailleur may work, as I have done it. The range will be greater, so the issue is whether the limit screws have enough adjustment available to keep the chain on. The inner plate of the derailleur is a lot bigger, but I have found that it still works. However, consider that the front derailleur is one of the cheapest components on the whole bike, so it should not hold you back if this is what you want to do.

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
It's normal to not be able to use all the gear combinations on a double or triple without having to 'trim' the front deraileur, and the extreme crossover combinations especially on a triple are going to make noise no matter what. Such as big ring/big cog, small ring/smallest two-three cogs. You shouldn't be using them anyhow. There are other gear combinations that will give you the same gearing and a better chain line.

The triple RD will work fine with a double crank but the front won't work very well. Get a double FD.

·
Registered
691 Posts
May I ask why you are changing out your triple? The reason I am asking is that I have a triple also. Bike came that way. I have used the smallest front only a couple of times. But I keep telling myself that is may come in handy some day. For example, I am planning a bike trip through the NH Mountains. I'm sure I will need it then...

·
Registered
80 Posts
It will work, most of the time

I replaced my triple Ultegra chainrings with a compact double FSA Gossamer, with an Isis BB. Kept the triple front and rear derailleurs and installed a 11-28 tooth SRAM cassette in the rear. It works pretty well most of the time although the chain tends to drop on the inside occasionally. A mechanic told me the metal plates on the triple FD aren't shaped optimally for a double, but I just tightened up the lower limit screw a little. The chain rubs a bit in the low-low combination but I don't intend to do anything more.
I can feel a significant difference in weight savings.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks like it is a go or at least worth a try..

".....I can feel a significant difference in weight savings......":thumbsup:

HAHA now that is the quote of the week!!

For me, the bike in question is a steel Spec Allez, which is a pretty nice ride, rolls great and has a nice relaxed geometry. My normal club ride is a Tarmac but sometimes when I am out on a recovery type spin I would like to ride my steel Allez. I live in TX and don't really have a need for a triple but I bought the bike as a triple. Just tired of not being able to use the two larger rings without rub and noise. I might be better served to just learn how to adjust the FD! I guess I will give the double a try with the triple FD and RD and then if needs be I will pick up a double FD.

Many thanks guys!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.