Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is my bike: http://www.bikepedia.com/quickbike/B...+1.0&Type=bike

as much as i love it, its getting old, and im riding with pros on full carbon fibre bikes. and as much as i love the fact i can match them on this i want something more....

but im poor. so i was looking into getting a "ebay carbon frame" would i be able to just transfer everything over?

what parts should i upgrade? i already have some nice wheels

thanks for any help

PS: i heard its hard to upgrade my 9 speed, is this true?
PPS: can someone tell me what size my BB is?

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I can't open the link, but there's lots of standardization in key points so transferring shouldn't present any major challenges.

Places to check,

Wheels, double check that your wheels have the same axle width as the frame, which is probably 130mm (check that too).

headset, check that your headset is compatible with the frame or budget for a replacement, odds are you have a 1-1/8" press -in headset, but the frame may require an integrated headset.

Bottom bracket, probably fine with a 68mm standard threaded BB, but double check what you have against the frames.

front derailleur, OK if both are braze-on, otherwise clamp size may not match.

Seatpost 27.2mm is the most common, but not assured, check yours against the new frames.

Lastly, check the overall geometry. Changes may require a new stem, so keep a reserve for that. Also budget for replacing all four cables and housings. Odds are that housing & cable lengths will be different, and anyway it doesn't make sense to put all the labor into used cables.

Good luck, but don't expect miracles in performance improvement, that requires replacing the most import part of the vehicle, the engine.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
There isn't anything "wrong" with your older ride unless the frame or some other major component is worn out/broken.

For that one, I'd say get a nicer set of wheels and keep riding the 9spd gear. If you are hanging with pro's on your current rig...:thumbsup:

When you have $$, buy a complete bike at the level where the components match up to your likes. Updating parts costs more in the long run. I'd rather have the Fuji frame than a generic CF frame. If you have warranty issues, Fuji will be easier to contact and deal with than a distributor/manufacturer that is overseas.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
otakunorth said:
i did, i posted here just before you answered and i cant seem to delete this post
sorry
can a mod delete this?
also thanks for the info

ps: http://www.bikepedia.com/quickbike/BikeSpecs.aspx?Year=2006&Brand=Fuji&Model=Newest+1.0&Type=bike this link will work
Don't worry, there's no reason to delete it now. But in the future, consider allowing enough
time for people to respond before reposting in another section. That way all the answers will be together in one cohesive thread.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts