Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I have just recently gotten into cycling, and I am curious if I get some Shimano 8sp bar end shifters, would they work with my bike? I have 105 components, double, 9 sp. I have heard that you could put them in "friction mode"? Would that work? What exactly does that mean and how do you do that? Oh and are they easy to install?
Thanks.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Friction mode takes you back to shifters of the 80s, meaning you lose the indexing of your 105's. IIRC, there is no width difference b/t 8 an 9 speed, just a difference in the width of each individual cog, so rear der. should be fine wrt overall travel across the cassette. You must use friction mode though, because the throw from cog 1 to cog 2 is now less with a 9 speed v. an 8 sp.

Bar end shifters are easy to install. They go into the ends of the bar and are secured via an expanding plug. Cable routing is more difficult though, and less clean than with modern shifters.

Why do you want/need bar end shifters? From reading your post, you already have functional 9 spd 105 components.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I wanted to construct somewhat of a "psuedo-tribike." I have a road bike with the STI shifters and was going to convert it by installing aerobars, a tri base bar, bar end shifters, aero brake levers, and one of those profile design "fast forward" seatposts. Yes, I know it still won't be a true triathlon bike, but I think it would be convenient to have all of the parts to switch between road bike and "tri bike" when needed, instead of spending the dough on a tri bike. I know the frame geometry is not the same, but I have heard that it is easier when doing triathlons to have a tri bike because the transition out of the bike will be much easier on you (because of your position, etc.). And Because I am just a beginner, I believe that I will most likely purchase a full-fledged tri bike in the future, but can not afford it at this time.

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
DerBoeseKoenig said:
Well, I wanted to construct somewhat of a "psuedo-tribike." I have a road bike with the STI shifters and was going to convert it by installing aerobars, a tri base bar, bar end shifters, aero brake levers, and one of those profile design "fast forward" seatposts. Yes, I know it still won't be a true triathlon bike, but I think it would be convenient to have all of the parts to switch between road bike and "tri bike" when needed, instead of spending the dough on a tri bike. I know the frame geometry is not the same, but I have heard that it is easier when doing triathlons to have a tri bike because the transition out of the bike will be much easier on you (because of your position, etc.). And Because I am just a beginner, I believe that I will most likely purchase a full-fledged tri bike in the future, but can not afford it at this time.
That's not a bad option... The difference of saddle setback is *about* 1cm per angle of seat tube change. ie: if yer running a 73deg seat tube angle, yer saddle is gonna be about 1cm further back than if yer running a 74deg seat tube angle. The FF seatposts move you back forward to about the same 75-76deg angles that 'tri bikes' use. Should make things mo bettah. (yes, math geeks, I know its not *exactly* a cm, but for pretty much everyone else, its close enough)

Cheap way to do the same thing is find an older Control Tech SP on ebay/CL/wherever and use that. The infinitely rotating head comes in real handy... I keep on in my bin of stuff 'in case I need to ride a TT'

If you plan on switching back and forth between tri and normal modes on this bike, yer better off with brifters on yer normal drop bars. Less wrenching/bar wrapping.

HTH

M

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ti_litespeed said:
They cost a literal fortune too. Bar-end shifters and conventional brake levers are cheap by comparison. Perhaps shifting is slightly less convenient.
That is what I am using now--i thought they were called STI shifters? Or, at least that is what I have been calling them.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh, okay. Thanks for clearing that up.
And I did buy some bar end shifters (online) cheap without the cables or anything. What kind of cables do I need. Is there like a tutorial or a guide on how to install these or are they self-explanatory (that easy to install?).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.