Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My front Tiagra 4600 shifter is toast. It is not a cable problem. Something inside, either a pawl or spring is broken. I want to upgrade to 105 10 speed 5700 shifters, since my Mavic CXP-22 wheels are only 10 speed. Can I use the new 5800 front derailleur, or do I need to stick with 5700 105 front derailleur or the Ultegra 6700 front? I know the indexing is different for 10 vs 11 speed cassettes, but I don't know if the indexing is different for the front shifters between 10 and 11 speed groupsets. Thanks for any advice. It is much cheaper to replace the Tiagra shifters with 105 10 speed.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Make sure the cable is not broke inside the shifter. Then try cleaning it out with WD-40. It may just be dirty and sticking.

You can't mix anything in the drive train between 10 and 11 speed. So no, you can't use the 5800 front derailleur with 5700 shifters. If it's just the shifter, you don't need a new Tiagra front derailleur, unless you want to upgrade.
(deleted info on FD-7900)

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
Nashbar has 7900 front derailleur for a good deal, that would work too, and is the best upgrade possible.
Shimano Dura-Ace FD-7900 Braze-On Front Derailleur
Actually it wouldn't work (well you might be able to get it to shift but not well). 7900 front shifting has no trim unlike the reast and it's shifter and der are different from all other 10 speed. 7900 front der can only be used with 7900 shiters and visa versa.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for this info. There is no broken cable in the shifter. I have cleaned it with WD-40 and PB Blaster and relubricated it. My Felt dealer has tried to adjust it. A custom bike builder has tried. It doesn't trim and doesn't always shift up to the large chain ring. Front derailleur is fine. I will probably upgrade the shifters to 105 now, and then change the front derailleur to 5700 when the chain is next replaced in a few months. Interestingly, my rear Tiagra shifter broke under warranty and was replaced by Shimano after sending it in. Only took a week for the replacement to arrive and Felt dealer installed it for me. I don't think I'm particularly tough on shifters. Sometimes they just break. May have had a bad set to start with back in 2012.

·
Lost in Space...
3,434 Posts
Longer lever arm on the derailleur where the cable attaches would result in a short shift... since it is indexed, it will probably rub. That said, messing around with how the cable attaches to the derailleur you might be able to find an alternative routing that would effectively reduce the length of the arm and allow for a better shift. That's a trial and error sort of thing. It's also subjective, because what might bother one person in regards to the efficiency of a shift may not bother another person.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Actually it wouldn't work (well you might be able to get it to shift but not well). 7900 front shifting has no trim unlike the reast and it's shifter and der are different from all other 10 speed. 7900 front der can only be used with 7900 shiters and visa versa.
OK, thanks for that good info. I deleted the recommendation from the post above.
I actually checked the FD-7900 I bought as a spare, and it does have a longer cable to pivot distance than a FD-5700, by a few (3-4) mm. You could likely get it to work by moving the cable over, but that's probably not for everyone.

BTW, Jenson USA has new unboxed FD-6700 for $20. today, so if you need a spare, grab one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts