Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am putting the finishing touches on a single speed built from a grab-bag of parts. I was intending to use just a single cog from an old 9-speed ultegra cassette, but I don't think it is working to well. The chain has good tension, but whenever I push hard on the pedals, the chain pops off the cog. Do I just need to buck up and buy a single speed cog? Is it the deep teeth or the wide body that make these work? thanks.

· Potatoes
1,404 Posts
Just a little more explanation:

Sprockets from a cassette have shaped and ramped teeth to allow smooth shifting. It's ok to use an old cassette sprocket, however it normally requires an almost perfect chain line and chain tension.

You're right that a SS specific sprocket has deeper teeth and is also sans shifting ramps. This gives you a bit more flexibility if your chain line is slight off/if your chain tension isn't perfect. Basically giving the chain more to hang on to. You can get cheap sprockets that ukiahb is referring too (basic stamped steel), but you can also spend more $$ for more durability.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.