Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Can I use Presta in a Schrader rim ? smaller fits in larger hole but will it work?

5K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  chriscc63 
#1 ·
I bought Schrader tubes accidentally and I obviously needed Presta's. So can I bore out my rims to except Schrader and what will happen if I put Presta back in, will tube blow? They don't seem to make an adapter to let a Presta fit a Schrader.

So whats the skinny on this? Thanks anyone

#3 ·
1. use schrader valves in schrader rims only.
2. use presta valves in presta rims or in schrader rims with an adapter.
3. return unused merchandise to the seller for a refund or replacement.
4. boring a larger valve hole in a presta rim to use a schrader valve should only be done in an emergency or apocalyptic conditions.

Reactions: chriscc63
#6 ·
All good and Awesome advice. I was unaware of these adapters.

Ok, so I shouldn't drill them wider. I don't see that this will make the rim that much weaker, but I got ya and won't do it.

these stupid tubes are a hard to find 37-622. got them clearance online "probike" and will cost me to mail them. I think the size translates to 28x1-3/8" or 700x35

Thank you both.

#5 ·
As others have said, don't drill out your rims. Return the tubes, or sell them or give them away, and get the right ones. Presta valves are better for high-pressure low-volume tires as on a road bike; that's what they were invented for. They make proper inflation easier and more reliable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.