Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
andydave
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am doing a springtime century with lots of climbing, and need some help. Right now, I am riding 39-27 cogs, dura-ace. If it were a fall ride, I probably wouln't worry too much. But, being eary spring, I wouldn't mind having one more gear to fall back on (in case I get into trouble). Are there any relatively inexpensive, one-day changes I can make to do this?

·
Registered
495 Posts
I'm assuming he has a 39 in the front, and his biggest cog in the back is a 27. It all depends on your ability as a cyclist if you ask me. I ride a 12-25 in the back when I'm out of shape and switch to a 12-23 for the tighter spacing on my 9 speed Dura Ace when I get fit. I can climb anything with that setup with standard gearing in front. I'm a back of the front pack climber as well.

·
Il faut d'abord, durer.
333 Posts
You could

change the cassette to an IRD 12x28 or Harris Cyclery has a 13x30. The derailleur you have now would be fine.

You could also get a cheap 38 tooth ring (the smallest you could go witha 130 BCD.)

·
andydave
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
clarification

Yes, you are correct. For my low gear, I have a 39 teeth in the front, and 27 in the rear. Sorry about the confusion.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
Curious. What century? A 39x27 should do it for almost anything.

·
andydave
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cheaha Challenge in AL

It the Cheaha Challenge in early May. It climbs the highest peak in Alabama and has 7-8K of climbing (no too bad over 100 miles). Yes, you are right, a 39/27 should probably handle this. But I only do about 50 miles a week in the winter, so I was a little concerned that it might not be enough this early in the season.

·
noob roadie :)
264 Posts
andydave said:
It the Cheaha Challenge in early May. It climbs the highest peak in Alabama and has 7-8K of climbing (no too bad over 100 miles). Yes, you are right, a 39/27 should probably handle this. But I only do about 50 miles a week in the winter, so I was a little concerned that it might not be enough this early in the season.
Get a 11-34 cassette and a long-cage XT rear deraileur. Should be less than $100.

·
Non non normal
10,086 Posts
macming said:
Get a 11-34 cassette and a long-cage XT rear deraileur. Should be less than $100.

Ditto on this suggestion

You can even go real cheap with a cogset from performance and a deore der.

A 32 or a 34 should get you up any hill without having to stand.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm planning on the Cheaha Challenge too. I recently switched to a Campy Centaur compact, 50/34 with a 12-25 cassette. I think/hope that will do it for me. I am looking at the brochure right now, and that's a steeeeeep climb to the top of the mountain, then you have to decend and climb it again. Brutal. Good luck with it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts