Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Frog Whisperer
40,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I decided that today was the day I would start on tearing out the small section of flooring in front of the door upstairs in preparation of putting in the rest of the area in 3/4 t&g maple. The flooring has been stacked equalizing for a month, the nailer arrived (as it turns out, at 40 bucks a day it was just as cheap to buy one, Harbor had them on sale for 99 bucks!

OK, I started peeling up the 3 x 3.5 foot section and uncovered some bad sub-floor....arghhhhhh.... this is going to be a bigger project than I thought. I knew the door was leaking some, and the jamb was showing some rot. We picked up a new PVC Jamb kit yesterday to replace the door jamb so that is sitting in the garage....NOW I need to have a few good days and take the door out, build the new jamb and re hang the door.

here we go again......just when you though it was safe to go back into the tool-box

·
Collin's Dad
1,858 Posts
After you get done w/ your house, if you don't mind, can you come put down about 1000 sq ft of wood flooring in my house? kthxbye

·
Frog Whisperer
40,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I pull the door out to replace the jamb, it's no big deal to slice out the damaged area and replace it with new, only about a 20 x 8 inch patch requires. I am glad i found the problem and frankly I was not surprised

·
MORE MINIMALISM DANG IT!!
991 Posts
I think you're a big wussie if your going to do that with a pneumatic stapler. But that's just me sayin'. :p

·
Power Napper
2,853 Posts
Home Project Rule of Thumb

From years of home projects (mine and my husband's) I have developed this rule; no matter what you estimate in time and money, triple the time and double the money. And you will always have to find a hardware place open on Sunday.

Just this morning my husband was calling Lowes at 8:30 AM to find out if they were open. Ummm NOT!

·
half-fast
7,389 Posts
put a pan under that new door if you don't want to revisit this job again later.

Unless you are just replaceing some of the frame, in which case disregard previous message.

Me and the boy helped a buddy change his furnace yesterday. Said buddy didn't go out for smoke pipe until tem before noon. ALL ALL ALL supply houses close at noon on Saturday. He had a lot of scrambling to do, but he found some, and we made his heater work. Alls well and all that.

I like maple.

·
Failboat Captian
6,527 Posts
HOOKEM said:
I think you're a big wussie if your going to do that with a pneumatic stapler. But that's just me sayin'. :p
+1. Also, with that wussie nailer, if you have any boards that aren't quite straight, can you "hit it" hard enough to get it straight and nailed in place?

·
Frog Whisperer
40,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok......as for the pneumatic nailer......I can hit it as hard as necessary....and I am NOT AFRAID to screw a block to the floor to lever it into place if need be, I have NEVER seen a board I couldn't straighten(I have also NEVER seen a board that stays straight over time.., I bought it because it will be cheaper. 10AE... I am replacing ALL of the door frame, but a sheet metal pan is a good idea.....I may do it ... (not the front door or main entrance , the reason it leaked is the weather strip shrunk up and you could see light.This is a second floor door out onto a deck...BUT I live in the woods and gutters plug CONSTANTLY and the splash apparently leaked in. I will be re-roofing the house and will be putting a "mock" (eye-brow) dormer over the door to divert water to either side.
I built this house myself, my wife's design and we knew NOTHING....we know WAY more now!!!!!!!

Hook...I have nailed PLENTY of t&g flooring down, the FIRST smack, the FIRST time....I glanced off of the nailer with the 10 lb sledge and nailed my foot.....10 hours later when I pulled my boot off i realized I was BROKEN..........

I was more careful the second time and rented one that had a ratcheted and you could take 3 smacks to drive her home......

·
It's complexicated
1,418 Posts
theBreeze said:
From years of home projects (mine and my husband's) I have developed this rule; no matter what you estimate in time and money, triple the time and double the money. And you will always have to find a hardware place open on Sunday.

Just this morning my husband was calling Lowes at 8:30 AM to find out if they were open. Ummm NOT!
We call it SLOWE'S, and you can bet they will have every screw size, tool, etc., except for the one you want.

·
half-fast
7,389 Posts
I got your pm and tried to attach my half-assed sketch of a door pan to my reply. I couldn't figure out how, though, so the lounge gets another of my awful paint renditions.

Pic includes an end view, a section, and an overall view.

Sounds like you know what door pans are already, though.

If you don't want to use a block of wood and a pry bar, take a scrap of flooring about a foot long, rip it on a diagonal line (so that one end is about one-third wide and the other end of the same piece is about two thirds wide), put it on the deck so that the groove of your angled rip piece engages the tongue of the crooked piece, and then nail your other tapered piece to the deck. Beat the wedge far enough to get your floorboards straight.

Look up carpenter's pinch block if this is vague, but all you loungers that are listening, that's a good thing to have in your bag of tricks.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
10ae.....thanks man.....got it, I have the door downstairs flashed as such I folded it up from aluminum coil-stock. The biggest problem is that this door is:
A. on the north side of the house
B. subject to splash from plugged gutters running over (and let me tell you, living in the woods is a nightmare for gutters)
C. I didn't flash this one...and look what happened!
The deck is not fastened to the house at all, it is free-standing, I have done that with both of my decks, I find it eliminated a whole host of potential probles and flashing nightmares.

and Girch....REALLY?......man I thought it was hoseless!
Naw, I have the compressor o the second floor of my garage and the whole garage is plumbed for compressed air, I have 150 feet of hose that will get me anywhere I need to be without moving the compressor, works slick. The key is to buy GOOD hose that isn't as stiff as cpvc pipe....lol

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
Keep working upstream until you hit something solid...

At my house, that's often next door. Nice nailer, though.

·
half-fast
7,389 Posts
I have seen a lot of cool things in homes doing what I do, and very few of them are as cool as having air lines hard piped. Color me impressed.

Have fun with your door-n-floor project.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
no the house isn't hard piped, the garage is, I have about 200 feet of hose though

·
Frog Whisperer
40,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Cory said:
At my house, that's often next door. Nice nailer, though.
so does CoryF live next door?...lol

1 - 18 of 18 Posts