Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
or is it a pinch flat disaster in the making? The rim would be used on a SS CX bike. So ti going to take alot of load.
 

·
NeoRetroGrouch
Joined
·
6,491 Posts
CX on OPs...

jrm said:
or is it a pinch flat disaster in the making? The rim would be used on a SS CX bike. So ti going to take alot of load.
I run Michelin sprints (a very wide 30) on OPs at ~60 psi and have never pinch flatted, but I seldom use them on pavement where there would be sharp corners to hit. I weigh 190-200 and pinch flat 105-110 psi Axial Pros and Open Pros way too often.

BTW, I believe Mavic recommends 18 - 23 tires for OPs.

Hope this helps,
TF
 

·
Not Banned
Joined
·
49,013 Posts
sure

I've run Geax 38's on O/P's never had an issue. Pinch flatting isn't what you are worried about I'll assume it's the tire blowing off the rim. I'm 230 and rarely pinch road tires to proper psi, if I go low psi cx it does, have to run 15-25 psi higher than most. It's why I switched to tubies for race tires.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
165 Posts
do latex tubes help?

atpjunkie said:
I've run Geax 38's on O/P's never had an issue. Pinch flatting isn't what you are worried about I'll assume it's the tire blowing off the rim. I'm 230 and rarely pinch road tires to proper psi, if I go low psi cx it does, have to run 15-25 psi higher than most. It's why I switched to tubies for race tires.

speaking of pinch flats, have any of you folks had success with using latex tubes where a normal rubber tube would normally pinch flat? i've heard it can help and given the tendency of my road wheels to pinch flat at anything below 110 psi (I'm 175), i'm a bit weary of trail riding on my upcoming cross bike with lower pressure, higher volume cross clinchers. i know tubs are an option but for the initial build, they're not in my budget.
 

·
Not Banned
Joined
·
49,013 Posts
never have used latex but maybe some spin skins would help. I'm 230 and have to run 55-65 psi in my cx clinchers. I love the Mich Muds but they are very supple and tend to pinch unless pressure is up. I've had good luck with the Specialized (not the semi slicks) CX tires if you can find them. The S-Works seem to be much better than their other tires.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
165 Posts
interesting product (spinskins). hadn't heard of them before. have you been using the race or duro model? the race model is pretty spendy...
 

·
Not Banned
Joined
·
49,013 Posts
neither actually

jnichols959 said:
interesting product (spinskins). hadn't heard of them before. have you been using the race or duro model? the race model is pretty spendy...
have friends that do. I run 34 Tufo Tubies and 30 Tufo Tub/Clinchers so pinch flat isn't an issue. On training Wheels I run clinchers with standard tubes. The last race of last season (2002-2003) was my one shot at victory. I had lead the entire race, my training partner and main competition (though I spot him 15 years and about 80 lbs, I'm old and big) bridged up to me and we had well over a minute on the field. I'm a stronger technical rider than he so I had to make my attack in the technical section if I stood a chance of beating him. Anyhow I pinch flatted my front tire making the pass and rode the entire last 3 quarters of a lap with a flat front. I went from no worse than second (and the one chance I had to beat this kid) to 4th. Grrrrr, needless to say that was my last race on clinchers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
165 Posts
that's gotta hurt... i'm just getting started with the cross stuff and plan to try racing (i dig road racing). i'm more than convinced of the merits of tubs for races. i imagine that a flat in a cross race will cost you lots of positions unless you have a complete spare waiting for you right?
 

·
Not Banned
Joined
·
49,013 Posts
flats equal bad

jnichols959 said:
that's gotta hurt... i'm just getting started with the cross stuff and plan to try racing (i dig road racing). i'm more than convinced of the merits of tubs for races. i imagine that a flat in a cross race will cost you lots of positions unless you have a complete spare waiting for you right?
yes, not only spare wheel but spare bike. (it is why I'm in favor of 2 cheap bikes vs 1 expensive). I actually have 2, but course design made the pit only accessible at the start /finish (bad). They could have altered the pit placement by about 50 yards and had it accessible from 3 places (good) so I flatted about 25 % into the last lap. It made my next trip to the pit area after I was done. So spare wheels are good but you will still lose time changing wheel and in a 45 minute cx LT sufferfest it's all it takes to ruin your race. There rally is no time for comebacks. you may battle back a few spots but that's about it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I use 20 to 25c tubes in up to 35c tires

jnichols959 said:
speaking of pinch flats, have any of you folks had success with using latex tubes where a normal rubber tube would normally pinch flat? i've heard it can help and given the tendency of my road wheels to pinch flat at anything below 110 psi (I'm 175), i'm a bit weary of trail riding on my upcoming cross bike with lower pressure, higher volume cross clinchers. i know tubs are an option but for the initial build, they're not in my budget.
I found that this worked well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Here's what a guy I know did.

If you race cross around the Sacramento (Ca.) area you know Gordo from City Bikes. Gordo took a 20" bmx tube and made it into a rim strip (like Stans). He then mounted his tire tubeless and poured in the Stans goop. He told me it worked great. I'll have to call him and find out the details. Tubeless Michelin Mud Cross sound pretty good.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top