Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Shirtcocker
Joined
·
60,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
dude was back squatting about 135 the other day for 4-5 sets of about 12-15 reps. Nothing unusual about that except on either side of the weights he had hung massive steel chains--one on each side and lifted with them on (making a clanking noise as he did). Now I can see this adding a few pounds to the lift, but WTF does this accomplish if anything? I was tempted to ask the dude WTF??, but chickened out. ANyhone hear of this before? The chains reached to the floor if that helps. I can't see any benefit from this other than maybe some kind of stability challenge which would have been better accomplished using a Bosu ball or something.
 

·
Cat 6
Joined
·
4,695 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
dude was back squatting about 135 the other day for 4-5 sets of about 12-15 reps. Nothing unusual about that except on either side of the weights he had hung massive steel chains--one on each side and lifted with them on (making a clanking noise as he did). Now I can see this adding a few pounds to the lift, but WTF does this accomplish if anything? I was tempted to ask the dude WTF??, but chickened out. ANyhone hear of this before? The chains reached to the floor if that helps. I can't see any benefit from this other than maybe some kind of stability challenge which would have been better accomplished using a Bosu ball or something.
I've seen something similar when lifting...not sure if he had it setup the same way but I've seen it used as a marker to know how far to go down before danger zone.
 

·
Shirtcocker
Joined
·
60,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
chuckice said:
I've seen something similar when lifting...not sure if he had it setup the same way but I've seen it used as a marker to know how far to go down before danger zone.
I can see that, but a small rope would have done the same--the giant chains made the dude look like he was trying to be the ghost of Christmas Past. Also he was squatting in the power cage so he could have just as easily set the stops to a certain point--he didn't use stops in this case. I think he was just trying to look studly. ;)
 

·
Travels by Map
Joined
·
3,060 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
I can see that, but a small rope would have done the same--the giant chains made the dude look like he was trying to be the ghost of Christmas Past. Also he was squatting in the power cage so he could have just as easily set the stops to a certain point--he didn't use stops in this case. I think he was just trying to look studly. ;)
Maybe so he could hear when they hit bottom instead of looking? I would expect that there was a mirror in front of him, though. Either way, he should know how far down to go without needing something like that. It certainly makes no sense to me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
483 Posts
I've seen this before and I thought it was to make it weigh more the more upright you are. ie. When the higher you go, the more chain you are lifting. Not sure if there is any advantage, or why it would help...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Chain theory

Found this on the web:

Basic Chain Cycle

Application: This is a very good cycle for the advanced lifter who has good squat skill and form. The chains will help to develop a greater level of squat stability as well as increasing the explosion out of the bottom of the squat. This would be a very good off season strength cycle for the advanced.

Training Cycle:

* Week 1 – 55% for 8 sets 2 reps
* Week 2 – 58% for 8 sets 2 reps
* Week 3- 60% for 8 sets 2 reps

Suggested Chain:
# Squat Max: 200-400 Pounds – 60 total pounds of chains
# Squat Max: 400-500 Pounds – 80 total pounds of chains
# Squat Max: 500-600 Pounds – 100 total pounds of chains
# Squat Max: 600-800 Pounds – 120 total pounds of chains
# Squat Max: 800-950 Pounds – 160 total pounds of chains

# Chains should be set up so 2-4 chain links are all the ground at all time. The chain set up should be the same as sold by EliteFTS.com. There should be a feeder chain to adjust the chain length.
# Training percent is based on current one rep max with the free squat with equipment.
# These percents are used as guidelines. The more advanced the lifters the lighter the percent needed. If you are a raw lifter or do not use power lifting gear then a minimum of 10% should be added to the listed percents.
# All sets should be performed with the use on a parallel box.
# If you feel good after your sets, work up to a heavy double. This should not be done every week but should be completed at least once through the cycle.
# You should rest no more than 45 to 60 seconds between sets
 

·
midnight melon mounter
Joined
·
6,621 Posts
Simple

The floor bears much of the chains' weight at your lowest point, you bear all the chains' weight at your highest point.

You're pushing less weight "in the hole", more at the peak.
 

·
Shirtcocker
Joined
·
60,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
nate said:
Maybe so he could hear when they hit bottom instead of looking? I would expect that there was a mirror in front of him, though. Either way, he should know how far down to go without needing something like that. It certainly makes no sense to me.
no...they were already reaching to the ground. clanking all the way down. and yes--there was also a mirror in front of him.
 

·
Shirtcocker
Joined
·
60,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
jjscarf said:
Found this on the web:

Basic Chain Cycle

Application: This is a very good cycle for the advanced lifter who has good squat skill and form. The chains will help to develop a greater level of squat stability as well as increasing the explosion out of the bottom of the squat. This would be a very good off season strength cycle for the advanced.

Training Cycle:

* Week 1 – 55% for 8 sets 2 reps
* Week 2 – 58% for 8 sets 2 reps
* Week 3- 60% for 8 sets 2 reps

Suggested Chain:
# Squat Max: 200-400 Pounds – 60 total pounds of chains
# Squat Max: 400-500 Pounds – 80 total pounds of chains
# Squat Max: 500-600 Pounds – 100 total pounds of chains
# Squat Max: 600-800 Pounds – 120 total pounds of chains
# Squat Max: 800-950 Pounds – 160 total pounds of chains

# Chains should be set up so 2-4 chain links are all the ground at all time. The chain set up should be the same as sold by EliteFTS.com. There should be a feeder chain to adjust the chain length.
# Training percent is based on current one rep max with the free squat with equipment.
# These percents are used as guidelines. The more advanced the lifters the lighter the percent needed. If you are a raw lifter or do not use power lifting gear then a minimum of 10% should be added to the listed percents.
# All sets should be performed with the use on a parallel box.
# If you feel good after your sets, work up to a heavy double. This should not be done every week but should be completed at least once through the cycle.
# You should rest no more than 45 to 60 seconds between sets
aha! at last a reasonable explanation. still seems kinda bogus to me, but this at least shows he might have had some reason for the chains. he wasn't box squatting though and this says to use a box.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top