Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question theres a bike store that has a 2005 caad 8 why would a bike store have that old of a bike? its new, never used or ridden and actually hasn't been built.

is there anything wrong with buying a bike thats almost 4 years old already?

why would they still have this bike?

warranty?

components? its spec'd with campy veloce, how does this compare to 105?

they are asking $1300 for this bike which I think is quite high. the scott S30 I rode today was priced at 1050 which is full shimano 105.

I'm having a hard time thinking of spending more money for an older bike....

they are building it up for me to test ride tomorrow.

what say the pro's?

Chad

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Last year I bought a 06 Cdale 6-13 brand new from a shop with full ultegra for $1300. It was just 1 year old, and they knocked approx $700 off. The reason they are still sitting on a 4 year old bike is probably because they won't discount it enough to move it out. You could buy a 4 years old bike with 105 off of ebay for $500- $700. True, you won't be getting a new bike, but if you buy the 4 year old "new" bike, once you ride it a few months, you will have a 4 year old, used bike. I like Cannondales, and the CAAD 8 is a great bike, but $1300 for that bike is way too high. I wouldn't go more than $900 or maybe $1000 max. That dealer should be willing to sell it at cost or even below cost just to get that bike out the door. If he won't, let him keep it for a few more years.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
nimitz, i'm a campy man, so biased, but the veloce is better IMHO... if u are asking if they are comparable gruppos in the hierachy then, yep... they are pitched at similar 'levels' under their respective brands.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,941 Posts
Hm, the Scott has a Truvativ Elita crankset along with some sriously low specced wheels that I wouldn'tbe overly happy with. What wheels are on the 'dale? Any other extras that could make it a deal like for instance a nice saddle/stem and bars/post? Enquiring minds need to know. :)

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
rogger said:
Hm, the Scott has a Truvativ Elita crankset along with some sriously low specced wheels that I wouldn'tbe overly happy with. What wheels are on the 'dale? Any other extras that could make it a deal like for instance a nice saddle/stem and bars/post? Enquiring minds need to know. :)
rogger I'll find out later this morning and update after work when I get home. they are spec'd with Gipiemme Parade which are 16 spoke wheels...

honestly those wheel's seem a bit delicate on paper, I know nothing about them for sure

I'm 6'4 and weigh in @ 200lb even.

Chad

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so I rode the caad8 R900 man is that a sweet bike. I really like the campy stuff to much more comfy to me, trying to talk them down on price still asking 1300 told them I liked the bike but not for 1300.

I talked to them about doing a package deal, for the bike possibly, or them throwing in a saddle/gloves, etc. shoes, pedals.

suppose to call me back, they want to move the bike:thumbsup:

man that bike is nice.

Chad

·
Registered
838 Posts
Okay, this is all heresay, and I have no direct knowledge, so take the following with at least some skepticism.

Component manufacturers are always changing their products. Most of these changes are improvements, and some are probably just cost reductions. But a given component with the same name manufactured four years ago is not exactly the same as the same product manufactured today. Just something to think about.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
John Nelson said:
Okay, this is all heresay, and I have no direct knowledge, so take the following with at least some skepticism.

Component manufacturers are always changing their products. Most of these changes are improvements, and some are probably just cost reductions. But a given component with the same name manufactured four years ago is not exactly the same as the same product manufactured today. Just something to think about.

I believe with campy and shimano they only do "Big changes" every few years...like with the new 2009 dura ace...someone correct me if I'm wrong?

Chad

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.