Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

· Registered
8,252 Posts
My guess...as close as Sastre and Schleck are in the standings they are both given the green light to go for it. Better to have two at the top than 1.

Also it could be a matter of sending Sastre up the road in case Schleck can drop the rest of the riders around him so he has a teamate up the road and they can work together to finish the climb.

Then there is the fact that CSC would not only like to have the Yellow and White jersey's but also a win on the biggest stage of the year. This is a stage guys like Sastre live for and if he has the legs to win it...why not let him go? It would make for a "Huge" day for CSC if he wins the stage, takes yellow and CSC has #1, #2 overall GC and the White jersey and overall Team Classification in the race.

· Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
francois said:
To win the stage, to win the Tour.

He's earned the green light to do whatever the heck his body can do today.

fc
Thanks. I thought you weren't supposed to attack your team mates. Do you thinkthey are saying it's Satre's turn to win and Schleck can get it next year?

· Registered
1,611 Posts
Sastre is the best ITTist among him and Schlecks -- he gives CSC best chance to take yellow. Smart strategy.

Below are the 2007 final ITT results . . . look how Sastre fared -- 2 and a half minutes behind Evans. He is about 50 seconds behind Evans now on GC. So he needs to take at least 2 and a half minutes out of Evans today to have a chance to win it all. Possible!

1 Levi Leipheimer (USA) Discovery Channel Pro Cycling Team 1.02.44
2 Cadel Evans (Aus) Predictor - Lotto 0.51
16 Carlos Sastre Candil (Spa) Team CSC 3.24
36 Frank Schleck (Lux) Team CSC 5.18

G

·
cheddarlove said:
Why'd he attack Schleck? Can someone explain these tactics? :confused:
Because Sastre has been the plan at CSC all along.

Schleck has worn the jersey and kept attention off Sastre who has been the real danger all along.

· your text here
13,203 Posts
+1

fornaca68 said:
Sastre is the best ITTist among him and Schlecks -- he gives CSC best chance to take yellow. Smart strategy.
but it is a gutsy move to take yellow from one member. maybe F schleck is feeling pretty wasted. CSC played the cards well. there were so many ways for this stage to play out, it was difficult for teams to respond. if they could have covered the attack it might have played out differently.

· Registered
1,611 Posts
weltyed said:
+1

but it is a gutsy move to take yellow from one member. maybe F schleck is feeling pretty wasted. CSC played the cards well. there were so many ways for this stage to play out, it was difficult for teams to respond. if they could have covered the attack it might have played out differently.
It's Sastre vs. Evans on Saturday.

· Lemur-ing
19,208 Posts
Sastre attacked because he is the main leader for CSC. Frank is just a teammate who happened to be in yellow. Andy is a super domestique and for sure, a future grand tour winner I believe.

Sastre was CSC's goal all along. I wonder if Frank didn't attack coz he couldn't perhaps.

· Registered
1,611 Posts
A Buck Forty

2:11 Sastre over Evans subtract about 50 seconds in favor of Evans, Sastre has a one minute and forty seconds of handicap on the ITT. He also has the advantage of going last after Evans and has the advantage of the time checks. Sastre will be motivated no doubt.

Given the 2007 final ITT result, Evans should win, but you never know.

It's too bad the Tour keeps throwing in these 50+ km ITTs that give the power riders like Armstrong, Evans, etc. 3, 4, 5 minutes in one day over the climbers. Imagine if Saturday's final ITT was a Giro- or Vuelta-esque 30 km -- it would be damn close between Evans and Sastre.

· your text here
13,203 Posts
im not sure if he could follow that move.

plus, he could pull off a better TT than sastre. especially if sastre cant recover from today.

i imagine fabian will take the final ITT, but that depends on who sastre wants to use a time marker. fabian has been working very well for the team. i think they would let him try to take at least one stage.

now csc just needs to watch evans and keep sastre upright.

would have been great if VdV could have made the leap with sastre.

cheddarlove said:
WOW!! Cadel blew that one!! Or did he have no choice?
And thanks for the input. I was certainly not getting it!

· Lemur-ing
19,208 Posts
fornaca68 said:
2:11 Sastre over Evans subtract about 50 seconds in favor of Evans, Sastre has a one minute and forty seconds of handicap on the ITT. He also has the advantage of going last after Evans and has the advantage of the time checks. Sastre will be motivated no doubt.

Given the 2007 final ITT result, Evans should win, but you never know.

It's too bad the Tour keeps throwing in these 50+ km ITTs that give the power riders like Armstrong, Evans, etc. 3, 4, 5 minutes in one day over the climbers. Imagine if Saturday's final ITT was a Giro- or Vuelta-esque 30 km -- it would be damn close between Evans and Sastre.
Yeah but Armstrong didn't really need a final ITT anyway in most cases. Usually.

This is why a pure climber can almost never win the Tour (without doping from the winner and hence, handing him the overall after a year)

A great climber and decent TT rider can do this - Alberto Contador, erm, Schleck (Andy) if he improves his TT and Sastre perhaps as well.

· I heart team Zissou!
2,954 Posts
Smart strategy by Saxo Bank - but the real question is why Sastre didn't attack in the last col - he could have put some major padding between Evans and himself -- as it is, he will no doubt come up short in the TT. Also, in response to the OP, putting Sastre up front meant that Kohl and Evans had to work to bridge up and expose themselves to a counter by Schleck the elder. Good on Evans for not falling for that bait.

· Registered
650 Posts
its the classic one two punch, if they pull back sastre then schleck attacks and it continuies untill they crack the better tt riders

· Registered
766 Posts
cheddarlove said:
Thanks. I thought you weren't supposed to attack your team mates. Do you thinkthey are saying it's Satre's turn to win and Schleck can get it next year?
There is no turn......They(the team) are trying to win, regardless of who it is... and to do that they needed to blow-up Evans(the stongest TT)... so with Sastre off the front then they made Evans close the gap and work more, they would have like to have seen him go off the back, but that didn't happen...

A great victory for Sastre, but I don't think it was enough to hold off Evans.. but should be a fun TT to watch on Saturday... and there are two more stages before that and with it this close, alot still can happen.

G

·
philippec said:
Smart strategy by Saxo Bank - but the real question is why Sastre didn't attack in the last col - he could have put some major padding between Evans and himself -- as it is, he will no doubt come up short in the TT. Also, in response to the OP, putting Sastre up front meant that Kohl and Evans had to work to bridge up and expose themselves to a counter by Schleck the elder. Good on Evans for not falling for that bait.
I would rather see anyone win than Evans.

I'd rather see Prudhomme win if it kept Evans out.....................

· Registered
296 Posts
I think that CSC lost the tour today. What they did do is probably get two guys on the podium. Unfortunately for them that will be 2nd and 3rd.
With Sastre attacking at the bottom of the last climb forced Frank Schleck to stay with Cadel. It appeared that Schleck was probably better than Cadel today and could have taken time on him. Sastre started 49 seconds behind Cadel and Frank Schleck was not able to gain any time that he needed for the tt on Saturday.
CSC needed to attack with Sastre and Andy Schleck on the croix de fer to force Cadel and his team to ride. Then the team wouldn't have to do the silly tempo on the front either. Well, CSC blew it. There will be no yellow jersey in Paris for them.

· Registered
5,270 Posts
cheddarlove said:
WOW!! Cadel blew that one!! Or did he have no choice?
And thanks for the input. I was certainly not getting it!
Cadel did not blow it, not by a long shot.

BTW basic cycling tactics is, when your team outnumbers the other one, you'd be stupid not to attack. That's the whole game, you send someone out and force Evans (in this case) to choose between responding or not. Either way, you can just suck his wheel and let him do all the work. Do whatever you can to put the singleton into difficulty.

Evans hung in there. We might be looking back at today as the day Evans won the Tour.

· Registered
509 Posts
I know that this tt is different from stage 4 but if you look at the results, Andy actually had a better TT than Sastre. But if you spread the gaps out that Evans had over Sastre in the first time trial, he will likely make up the difference. I agree though, I would rather have anyone win over Cadel. I just don't like him.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.