·
Registered
7,492 Posts
early campy carbon

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah I believe the guy I bought it from raced for mapei, so kappa could be a sponsor

the rest of the bike is record, so I guess these are record cranks branded for kappa clothing company

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Campy, I don't think so. I bet if you cut that open you would find that it is an aluminum crank (core) wrapped in carbon.

·
Registered
21,637 Posts
Reading for content

bitt3n said:
came off a ~2004 De Rosa Merak I bought while in Italy. googling ROI Kappa cranks doesn't help.
So if you look at the dust cap/extractor ring, what does it say? I spy with my little eye a word starting with "C".

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
So if you look at the dust cap/extractor ring, what does it say? I spy with my little eye a word starting with "C".
Yes it does, and those are Campy chain rings.........but, I'm not sold yet. It would be interesting to find out what's up with them. I still believe they have an aluminum core.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
The chain ring bolts are not Campy and I've used Campy extraction bolts on Topline and Shimano Cranks.

But Campy standard chain rings are strange.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
here are the large size of the pics of both cranks, although I don't think there's much more info to be had from them.

https://imgur.com/9CwTj.jpg
https://imgur.com/uR0YF.jpg

so the dustcap/chainrings are campy, and the logo is a clothing company that one would assume doesn't make cranks and is therefore presumably a sponsor. it seems implausible that someone sponsored would be using anything but high-end parts, and perhaps curious that non-campy cranks would be designed for campy rings

raymonda, is there anything specific that makes you think they are not campy, other than the bolts?

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
I may have to change my opinion. I was thinking of these early campy carbons

but obviously, no relation.

·
Rub it............
3,833 Posts
Its Campy stuff. De Rosa probably called Campy and asked them to "make" cranks for them under the ROI label.

Trek/Bontrager does that with Sram/Truvativ for their cranks and with DT Swiss for their hubs.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
bitt3n said:
here are the large size of the pics of both cranks, although I don't think there's much more info to be had from them.

https://imgur.com/9CwTj.jpg
https://imgur.com/uR0YF.jpg

so the dustcap/chainrings are campy, and the logo is a clothing company that one would assume doesn't make cranks and is therefore presumably a sponsor. it seems implausible that someone sponsored would be using anything but high-end parts, and perhaps curious that non-campy cranks would be designed for campy rings

raymonda, is there anything specific that makes you think they are not campy, other than the bolts?
Yes, I have been riding Campy for over 25 years and owned one of the first 10 speed groupo's as well as Ultra Torque cranks. I have never seen a crank like this by Campy.

I suppose there might be an argument that it might be a proto-type but I don't think Campy would make a proto-type with 5 spider pattern, as opposed to their signature Record 4 with the fifth being the crank arm. This looks to be the same quality that was coming out of Tiawan in and around 2004-2005 or so. Aluminum core with a carbon wrap.

What is interesting is that it takes a tapered BB and has Campy rings and extracting bolts. So, I could be completely wrong and this was a well hidden Campy proto type that was absolutely never used or released by Campy.........but I doubt it. I think it was an after market that might have had some use/sold sparingly in Europe and not the US.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I did a bit of quick research and it seems that many companies sold cranks like these that used Campy standard chain rings. One such company was Carbon Lord. They weren't the actual manufacturer but rather put their name on Taiwain made cranks circa, 2003 or so.

So, I would say the odds are that the person riding this bike wanted a carbon crank on their bike and put these on. It was before Campy made a carbon crank.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
raymonda said:
Yes, I have been riding Campy for over 25 years and owned one of the first 10 speed groupo's as well as Ultra Torque cranks. I have never seen a crank like this by Campy.

I suppose there might be an argument that it might be a proto-type but I don't think Campy would make a proto-type with 5 spider pattern, as opposed to their signature Record 4 with the fifth being the crank arm. This looks to be the same quality that was coming out of Tiawan in and around 2004-2005 or so. Aluminum core with a carbon wrap.

What is interesting is that it takes a tapered BB and has Campy rings and extracting bolts. So, I could be completely wrong and this was a well hidden Campy proto type that was absolutely never used or released by Campy.........but I doubt it. I think it was an after market that might have had some use/sold sparingly in Europe and not the US.
+1. could have been earlier though. There was aftermarket stuff around from FSA etc.

·
Registered
264 Posts
raymonda said:
I did a bit of quick research and it seems that many companies sold cranks like these that used Campy standard chain rings. One such company was Carbon Lord. They weren't the actual manufacturer but rather put their name on Taiwain made cranks circa, 2003 or so.

So, I would say the odds are that the person riding this bike wanted a carbon crank on their bike and put these on. It was before Campy made a carbon crank.
That is what I'm thinking. Back when I worked in an LBS, we had a distributor for ROI. Not sure they are still in business..

Here is a pair of Carbon Lord cranks I have on a generic carbon frame. I think I got these in trade around 2004. I added the Tiso rings and bolts. I had the Campy center bolts laying on the bench and I added the Campy sticker just to throw off the curious :D

·
Registered
469 Posts
They are gigantex carbon cranks with a campag big ring and crankbolts , and a black inside ring that seems to be installed wrong ( I see "tooth" in wrong spot)

I have some of these in octalink BB, 130mm BCD, 175 length on my TT bike.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Hate to burst your bubble . . .

Bitt3n, that crank is simply an FSA crank. Or at least from the same factory in China that makes 'em. The spider looks the same as the FSA Pro Team Carbon cranks. Used to be commonplace on Ebay but numbers have dropped off over the years.

The same spider was used on the Ergomo and Token cranksets, as well as Stella Azzurra. People back then were paying $500 for the Stella Azzura cranks, thinking they were getting Italian made products.

I'm a fan of those FSA cranks as the 3K carbon weaves matches many carbon frames. FSA then switched to multidirectional carbon (looks like marble), as did Campy. FSA has sorta switched back to 3K on their more recent cranks. Campy only made one 3K weave crank, their first carbon crank in 2003, which Bikerjulio pictured.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts