Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I brought a second hand road bike with the pedals shown in the picture. I went to my local bike shop but they were unable to tell me what cleats I need to use. Any ideas? They are made by Look. Thanks for your time.

·
9,790 Posts
Hi, I brought a second hand road bike with the pedals shown in the picture. I went to my local bike shop but they were unable to tell me what cleats I need to use. Any ideas? They are made by Look. Thanks for your time.
Buy new pedals. Seriously. Those are awful.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Thanks for your replies.

I'm going to buy new pedals. Probably cheaper than the cleats!
Check your shoes. If they can accept a 3 bolt cleat, you can find 105 SPD-SLs online for a few bucks more than the cheaper 540s. Cleats included.

I'm using Ultegra pedals right now, and I don't find them to be much of an improvement over 105s.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I went to my local bike shop but they were unable to tell me what cleats I need to use.
Anyone else notice this and find it strange? How could any half decent bike shop not be able to answer? Seems like a horrible shop or the OP is leaving something out.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
I could be mistaken, but I think that was a mountain-bike pedal design that Look introduced some time ago to compete with SPD, and quickly discontinued. It wouldn't be that odd if nobody in the shop had seen them, and cleats are probably not readily available.

Platy, you seemed to recognize them. Am I correct?

·
9,790 Posts
I could be mistaken, but I think that was a mountain-bike pedal design that Look introduced some time ago to compete with SPD, and quickly discontinued. It wouldn't be that odd if nobody in the shop had seen them, and cleats are probably not readily available.

Platy, you seemed to recognize them. Am I correct?
They didn't last long at all, if I remember correctly. I've only seen one set in my life. I can't order those cleats anywhere, although Wellgo SPD cleats might work....

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Don't buy cheap pedals.
Let me disagree slightly. I've had excellent luck with Performance house-brand (Forte) pedals, which I think are made by Wellgo. A real bargain, IME.

·
9,790 Posts
Let me disagree slightly. I've had excellent luck with Performance house-brand (Forte) pedals, which I think are made by Wellgo. A real bargain, IME.
Except for the recall on them (the Forte road pedals)...
I'm not sure if they're made by Wellgo or VP - definitely one of the two.
I don't have a problem with Wellgo road pedals, like the WAM - not sure I'd trust carbon ones. But then, I don't really trust ANY carbon pedals...

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Except for the recall on them (the Forte road pedals)...
I'm not sure if they're made by Wellgo or VP - definitely one of the two.
I don't have a problem with Wellgo road pedals, like the WAM - not sure I'd trust carbon ones. But then, I don't really trust ANY carbon pedals...
Which ones werer recalled? I haven't seen that.

Never mind. Googled it. Not an issue for me. I share your feeling about carbon pedals.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.