Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to ride the older generation Time shoes but I think they no longer are wide enough for me. I have heard Northwave, but am looking some conventioanl wisdom here. The catalogs say Sidi comes in extra wide but I never like the Sidis with my size 47 or 46 in Norhtwave feet?

Thanks for your help in advance.

-Nik

·
Registered
985 Posts
Nik,

I have been quite happy with the Carnac shoes. They are more expensive than some others but the toe box is wider and fits my feet better than any other shoe that I have tried.

Jim

·
Registered
73 Posts
I wear a 4E in a New Balance cross training shoe and the Sidi Dominator MTB shoe in the Mega widths fit perfect. I just bought the Sidi Genius 4 in Mega and the fit is also great. The wear factoe has also been a huge plus. I've put about 6K miles and over 150 hours of spinning on them with only slight wear on the bottoms and nothing wearing on the uppers. I did have to replace the thin insole that comes with the shoe.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My normal shoe is a 9 1/2 EE, for bike shoes...

are a pair of SIDI Dominator 2 Megas for my cross bike and Genius 3 Megas for my road bike, both in size 43. I like the buckle assembly of the 2's better than the 3's (a little beefier) and in about 8000 miles of road riding + 300 hours or so of the indoor trainer I have replaced one heel pad, two cleats, and soon a buckle on my Genius 3's. The toe box fits really well, they crank down nice and snug, they've withstood alot of foul weather and my own personal salt bath (sweat) without any signs of deterioration other than that listed above. Sorry I don't have specs for the Dominators (no puter on the cross bike).

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Old_school_nik said:
I used to ride the older generation Time shoes but I think they no longer are wide enough for me. I have heard Northwave, but am looking some conventioanl wisdom here. The catalogs say Sidi comes in extra wide but I never like the Sidis with my size 47 or 46 in Norhtwave feet?

Thanks for your help in advance.

-Nik
Carnac Legend.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Legends haven't been made since 2002

There are still some out there but not many. I've used them going back to when they were called Lemond's and yes, they are wide and have a large toe box. There're also heavy.

Further, I've tried other Carnac's in the past, nothing in their 2003 and newer line up, and they were not as wide as the Legends.

After about 8 or 9 seasons, I switched to Northwave Evolutions. I happen to like these shoes quite a bit but they too are out of production. That being said, they apparent use the same last in their current production so I'd add them onto your list in addition to the suggested Sidi Mega's.

Others have also suggested Specialized, Pearlizumi and Shimano. My only advice is to find a store and try them on. There's no way around fit than trying them on in person.

·
FTMD
283 Posts
Take this for what it is worth, but I've been in the Carnac Quartz shoe for a year and am looking for something a little wider. Again, there's no replacing trying them on in a store. Case in point, I thought I needed a 45 in Sidis and was going to buy them online. Stopped in a shop and the 45 wasn't even close. Not making that mistake is worth the $ saved over online shops, IMO.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all for the replys mucho appreciated. I live in NYC and the stores carry about 3 shoes in every brand to try on - so I guess I have to take a road trip to get shoes.

But again, thanks

-Nik

·
Registered
288 Posts
I have a wide foot and I was disappointed with the sidi megas. The boot was nice and wide but the sole did not seem any wideer than a regular non mega sidi. As a result I could feel the sole dig into the outside of my foot, pretty significantly. I returned them.
I have been useing the Lake CX 220 Wide shoe and have been very happy with it. It's also half the price of the sidi's. I mail ordered mine without trying them on since noone around here carried them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts