·
Rollin' Stones
2,641 Posts
What caused that nasty incident?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you can see the metal piece just ahead. I don't honestly know what caused it, I was in a crit and went down at very slow speed with a few other riders. When I got back up this is what i saw, maybe myself or someone landed on it in the wreck. I'm really not sure at this point................but, I'm sure you guess how I'm feeling right now.

The weird part, about 10 laps earlier I heard a loud snapping sound when going over a lumpy man hole cover...?

·
Lemur-ing
19,208 Posts
Take it to your LBS and also contact Trek with regards to this. They could something perhaps.

Good luck.

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
the damage....

It looks to me like the only real damage is to the chainstay protector and perhaps a little to the clear coat. If you peel the chainstay protector off, I don't think you'll find any major damage to the CF.

As for the sound you heard, that's a loose headset. Integrated types are prone to noises as you describe, only when they are not quite tight enough and the front wheel strikes a sharp mismatch in the road.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
C-40 said:
It looks to me like the only real damage is to the chainstay protector and perhaps a little to the clear coat. If you peel the chainstay protector off, I don't think you'll find any major damage to the CF.

As for the sound you heard, that's a loose headset. Integrated types are prone to noises as you describe, only when they are not quite tight enough and the sront wheel strikes a sharp mismatch in the road.
thanks C-40, it sounded like it came from the front end, so what you describe makes sense.

your correct, the top part of the chain stay in mostly cosmetic, the most damaged area is under the USA logo, the CF is crushed and very soft to touch......you can see it in one of the pictures although it looks much less damaged than the top part.

I'm trying to find a CF repair guy in Ontario.

·
Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
10,086 Posts
Wow, I was hoping you might get away with a cosmetic issue but squishy is never good on a frame. Like others have posted. Maybe Calfee for repair or crash replacement from Trek, just dont mention the crit race.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Did this happen at the Toronto Criterium on Friday? I saw at least two guys go down in turn three. After one of them got up he picked up his bike, tried to spin the wheels and then threw the bike down on the pavement which I didn't think was good for his bike. The other guy that went down was one of the biggest cyclists I have ever seen and he was at the front most of the time so I was surprised to see that he went down. I think he was riding a Trek Madone also.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
blakcloud said:
Did this happen at the Toronto Criterium on Friday? I saw at least two guys go down in turn three. After one of them got up he picked up his bike, tried to spin the wheels and then threw the bike down on the pavement which I didn't think was good for his bike. The other guy that went down was one of the biggest cyclists I have ever seen and he was at the front most of the time so I was surprised to see that he went down. I think he was riding a Trek Madone also.
yah I saw him throw his bike, I was the other guy, (6'7" - 240 lb")........I avoided all the wrecks only to get dumped on the bell lap when someone fell in front of me......LOL. The crash didn't hurt the bike as it was slow speed spill........it was the little "Invita racing" guy standing on my bike so he could get to his that did the damage. Not like we could take a free lap or chase at that point...? erg...

cheers, Brian

·
Registered
659 Posts
atpjunkie said:
4,235,658 for not choosing CF to race Crits
OT ALERT....

+1.. I live by the mantra,,,, race only what you can afford to replace,

hence.. Alu and 105 is where it is at...

(or even 9 speed..!!!!!)

Come to think about it.. Hell I won my first race on Tiagra.. and SPD pedals! LOL

·
Not Banned
49,249 Posts
amen

shabbasuraj said:
OT ALERT....

+1.. I live by the mantra,,,, race only what you can afford to replace,

hence.. Alu and 105 is where it is at...

(or even 9 speed..!!!!!)

Come to think about it.. Hell I won my first race on Tiagra.. and SPD pedals! LOL
rule # 1 for Crit Racing
a) look at your bike
b) ask yourself will I cry if I crash it?
c)ifanswer to B is yes, it is NOT a crit bike

Alu frame with some scratches, hell ya

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.