Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Darling of The Lounge
4,751 Posts
Buyer Beware

There are normally scams job out of Asia.

So if you want to kiss your money goodbye, and get nothing in return, order away!

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats my fear. They list a Bianchi Infinito Ultegra for $1650 when the shop price is about $3k.

·
Registered
162 Posts
You'd be screwed if anything goes wrong. I would only use a credit card to buy from these people and they don't take plastic. I'm surprised I didn't get a virus from their web page. But as they say YMMV.

·
δanned
7,005 Posts
I saw their 2013 Cannondale Supersix Evo Dura Ace Di2 was selling for only $5245.50. The MSRP on that bike is $11650. That's probably less than cost for that bike, and even if it were a feasible price there is no way you'd pay that for a 2013 so early in the model year. If you want a dirt cheap bike, eBay or Craigslist are the way to go. I typically prefer eBay because they have a feedback system. This past November I got my Scott Foil 15 for $2749 (MSRP $5000), which is probably just $50 over cost, but it was a far more plausible scenario for me because the seller had 100% feedback and it was the end of the 2012 model year.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
There is no way that is legit. Look closely at the website. Look at "about us" - there is no physical address, but they list their hours. Look at "returns" - no link or specific info.
They put together a fancy website with photos of a shop, but there is no shop. They probably only fool a few with their "too good to be true" prices, but that still is a lot of money.
What if it is legit and you have an issue? What kind of service or recourse will you have with them? They are in Asia. Good luck with that.
I wouldn't even consider risking it.

Edit: They do list 3 physical addresses. Still...beware!

·
waterproof*
41,608 Posts
Man that looks scammy to me. No "terms of sale" posted anywhere... very lightweight websited... too good to be true prices...

·
Registered
6,739 Posts
1) Are those prices in US dollars or some other currency? I did not see any indication if it was US dollar

2) Under the "About Us" section, they list their 3 physical stores

Cyling Hub I : 87 Jalan Kiara 3, Off Jalan Bukit Kiara, 50480 Kuala Lumpur
, Malaysia

Cycling Hub II : Jalan Cut Meutia No. 184 North Sumatera , Medan 20152
Cyling Hub III : 274/B Lim Ah Woo Road , Singapore 438134 - Tel: 67411323 - Fax: 67411322
Email : [[email protected]]

3) But the no credit card acceptance is a red flag though.

Perhaps someone from these regions can verify this.

At any rate, it's not unusual that Asian bicicyle sellers get the newer models before the US because probably all of these bicycles are manufactured in Asia. When I was in Vietnam and Philippines, I even saw fake Specialized and Cervelo at very low price, and the reason I knew it was fake was because none of them had serial numbers.

That's the price you pay for doing business with Asia. Having said this, all of the fake bikes I saw were actually very nice and looked solid. I think the REAL issue for me was that I knew it was fake and it's hard to get over that. I would not hesitate riding them though.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Run away, quickly. At best, you're buying a clone bike. At worst, you're just mailing you $$ to some kid in Singapore.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just wondering though - say I do get a clone bike, is that any worse than the China clones in the Chinese carbon threads on RBR?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Seems legit.
No way is that legit. I know someone that got scammed on one of these sites. Wired 2500 to malaysia and never saw a bike or his money again. These sites are constantly popping up and then disappearing. Once you wire your money there is virtually no way to get it back, especially western union. My friend used his bank and they tried to put a hold on the funds but they never received any response from the bank in Malaysia.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Specialized S-Works Tarmac SL4 Di2 Road Bike

$5,405.50

MSRP is $12,000 and Spesh doesn't allow internet orders/shipping of their bikes.

Scam site for sure.

·
irony intended
772 Posts
Buy a bunch and sell them on ebay! You're contractually obligated to perpetuate numb-skull-edness...

·
Registered
269 Posts
Specialized was spelled with a small "s" on their index. Specialized doesn't allow web sales period, I don't know about the other brands.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I fell into a similar trap a couple of years ago. Very legit looking site in Indonesia offering top level bikes at just around 55% of US retail. Even an explanation of how they can do this - being close to the factory, buying manufacturing overruns, etc.

Great setup with a very legit sounding shipping company, even a site they sent you to to get your tracking number, etc.

Sent them a good amount of money and of course never got anything in return.

I started to investigate their site, including a "Whois" for their site registration. Turns out the site was registered to some fictitious address in Australia, and the bank account for the "business" turned out to he some private individual in Indonesia .

Within a week of me starting the investigation both the site and the bank account were gone (and my money !)

So, if it sounds to good to be true...Don't do it!!

Take it from someone who should really know better.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts