Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My head says no but my heart sure wishes my head is wrong. He's never show that he is capable of the effort it takes but he had never shown the effort he is doing now. Would be very cool for him to finish on the podium.

·
Call me a Fred
17,025 Posts
Can he? Sure.

Will he? No.

·
Registered
673 Posts
trekman10 said:
if something happens to evans, and he keeps up with everyone else then maybe he can ride a good time trial and win, never know what can happen. Never would of thought valverde would be out by this point
a lot of people did, but not many thought vandy would be in

·
Registered
417 Posts
He could win it.....he only lost 10sec to Evans on the first TT, although the 2nd is over 50k. He would need to put a couple minutes into Evans, and if he could do that today would have been a good day to try. We'll see, should be fun to watch!

·
Lemur-ing
19,208 Posts
Vande Velde is really impressive this tour thus far. Evans has shown that he simply cannot cope with the other climbers but, he can TT better than them. Nonetheless, he still cannot lose too much time to Schleck, Ricco or such.

Valverde was dropped like an anvil. All he can hope for is a stage win or so but even then, it's no easy task.

·
Lemur-ing
19,208 Posts
ilan said:
If he has a bad day and decides to make it up on the next day, he better not drink any beer and raise that testosterone level.

-ilan
Or use testosterone cream.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
This may be a far out longshot, but it's my theory. I think Lotto and Garmin-taco need to ride with/for each other as much as possible to keep Cadel/VdV on podium, and keep Menchov and Schleck in 2nd or off altogether.
I think Vaughters has enough smarts and experience to keep VDV in there. But there are several tough days ahead to crack ANYONE.
I think Piepoli/Ricco can easily put Ricco on Podium at this point. There is still lots of miles, and lots of climbs to come and the new tour requires some cooperation within teams to get the best result.

G

·
1. Vande Velde can attack, he just can't get far
2. Evans did a great stage yesterday, especially considering the crash he had the day b/4
3. Unless he's blown - Evans will likely crush the climbers in the stage 20, 53km ITT
4. Ricco is a wild card for sure.
5. The Alps, obviously, will sort out who has a chance at the podium and who doesn't.

·
Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
I hope not. I know it's an unpatriotic thing to say ... but I'm tired of Americans winning. I'm not much of a fan of Evans either, so at this point I would like to see Menchov take the win. He can TT pretty good too, so it's not all that unreasonable to assume.

Anyway, I think VdV will have a bad day eventually. Honestly, he wasn't on anyone's radar before the Tour started.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
If CVV is still strong on stage 15 i think he's likely to see a poidium spot. He'll have to ride his race and stop looking at evans. The alps tend to favor diffrent riders so time will tell of course. I think his head is in the right place but we've got a ways to paris.

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
Allen Lim is reporting VDV's power numbers on the Saris website. Over the big climbs yesterday, VDV's numbers suggest he's riding well within himself so far - about 5.4 watts/kg on the climbs yesterday. Given what he's been saying about his form so far, there should be enough left in the tank for a deeper dig somewhere in the alps.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.