Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was trying to find a review of NYC bikes, Habanero, Even a few Litespeeds, etc. Could we all pitch in a bit an update the reviews to your current ride. It's lookin might skimpy back there.

· Arrogant roadie.....
4,232 Posts
Well, the problem with online reviews, is that the happy people schill for their favorite brand or place (and not for rewards, either), or those who don't like a brand or place go for the jugular. There rarely is any middle ground, and people take such reviews with a grain of salt.

Now, while I have twice written very negative reviews (for the 2 most worthless and/or dangerous components still available-Wellgo Look knockoff pedals and Vittoria Rally tubulars), the rest of my reviews were quite candid, which is a rarity. Most either sound like EBay feedback ("This seller is A+++++!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"), or are really nasty ("This piece of @*#^ ain't worth a @*(#ing @(#@!!!!!!!!!!!!!").

· Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
Dave_Stohler said:
Well, the problem with online reviews, is that the happy people schill for their favorite brand or place (and not for rewards, either), or those who don't like a brand or place go for the jugular. There rarely is any middle ground, and people take such reviews with a grain of salt.

Now, while I have twice written very negative reviews (for the 2 most worthless and/or dangerous components still available-Wellgo Look knockoff pedals and Vittoria Rally tubulars), the rest of my reviews were quite candid, which is a rarity. Most either sound like EBay feedback ("This seller is A+++++!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"), or are really nasty ("This piece of @*#^ ain't worth a @*(#ing @(#@!!!!!!!!!!!!!").
Yeah most are written by people who have just bought the product and are pleased as heck with it. I'd like to see long term reviews of stuff after they've been using it for years. When I first bought my Merlin XL (pre-Litespeed) I think I'd have given it a great review. After riding a while and now that I have a Colnago MXL for comparison I realize what I didn't like in the Merlin and could express that now. People who just dropped $3k plus on a bike aren't usually willing to admit they made a mistake--at least right away.

· Registered
263 Posts
I changed frames and materials

I went from an italian built aluminum frame (Marin) to a steel and carbon triangle tommasini carbo fire. I thought I loved the marin until I got the tommasini. What I noticed, the steel frame was much more comfortable on long rides and much, much more stable on descents. Not sure why, if it was the material or geometry or both. I would say go to a good bike shop and ask to demo a few bikes for at least 20 miles each.

· Non non normal
10,183 Posts
I have found the same to be true of cars too.

I do think reviews can be filtered if there is a large sample to glean some truth even though they appear to be polarized.

Example

I bought a Toyota Matrix. After gleaning through a lot of reviews I found a couple of potential negative things on a car that was known for it's reliability and quality. Drawbacks were trim rattle noises, bad rear view mirror viewing through a small rear window, loud muffler noise, and a front seat that had an angle on the side that became unconfortable on the hips of wide people. All of those comments came from rave reviews and I experienced them with the exception of trim noise rattle. My wife and I love the car but I find the seat uncomfortable after a couple of hours.

· Banned
608 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
Yeah most are written by people who have just bought the product and are pleased as heck with it.
My favorites are things like saddles, where the reviewer just got it, went for a thirty mile ride, and it's the most comfortable saddle ever. I read this stuff and I think, Hmm, I could probably sit on a 2x4 for thirty miles. What does it feel like after six hours?

Then there are the wheelset reviews where the reviewer has a big four hundred miles on them. Or the reviews that give glowing marks to something even as they list the number of times it crapped out and had to be serviced or replaced by the manufacturer.

Even so, the MTBR site has a lot more reviews than RBR. You can actually find reviews on up to date equipment. Having things separated by year doesn't help...

· Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All true, but imagine

an RBR where every other post was not "Can someone tell me about a good frame for under 800 dollars."
or
"I really want to get Dura Ace, have you heard about Leader Bikes?"

or

What are some good commuting tires?

· Registered
121 Posts
yeah but.....

Bocephus Jones II said:
Yeah most are written by people who have just bought the product and are pleased as heck with it. I'd like to see long term reviews of stuff after they've been using it for years. When I first bought my Merlin XL (pre-Litespeed) I think I'd have given it a great review. After riding a while and now that I have a Colnago MXL for comparison I realize what I didn't like in the Merlin and could express that now. People who just dropped $3k plus on a bike aren't usually willing to admit they made a mistake--at least right away.

Who is going to care about a review of someone's bike "years" ago? People are looking for feedback on bikes that are current. You'll never find a person willing for fork over $3,000 for some used POS bike from years ago because someoen gave it a great review a few years later.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.