Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A peeve I have is riding near parked cars and the people lock their doors with a key fob that honks their horn.

Always makes me think I am being honked at.

·
δanned
7,005 Posts
Why would you ride near parked cars? Do you enjoy getting doored?

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
You're very lucky that on your hierarchy of peeves, this one deserves a mention on a public forum. Means that you have pretty trivial peeves and lead a pretty darn good life!

·
Registered
33 Posts
There is a truck in my city that is one of those 4X4 10 feet up in the air trucks. I was on a lunch time ride and though he didn't honk at me, he honked at some folks at a bus stop about 100 feet in front of me. It was a train horn; literally, it was that loud. Everyone at the bus stop jumped. I've seen him again on the road. I'm still thinking about payback.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
A peeve I have is riding near parked cars and the people lock their doors with a key fob that honks their horn.

Always makes me think I am being honked at.
I hate it too. We recently got a Honda. It does this. I cannot figure out how to turn it off.

You know what else I hate? I really hate people who swerve a little to the left before they turn right, especially when they are too cool to signal (as is most of California).

·
Registered
760 Posts
I hate it too. We recently got a Honda. It does this. I cannot figure out how to turn it off.
I know every manufacturer is different, and with keyless entry it may be harder again but with my Subaru you press the unlock button on the remote 5 or 6 times in a row to silence it, and the lock button to turn it back on again. The Honda may have a similar sequence (or ring a Honda dealer?). I think in my Ford it was an option in the menu on the center console.

edit: actually i just googled it, sounds like there may be a couple of ways to do it from holding down buttons on the remote to a button under the steering wheel can i turn off the horn beeping from remote - Honda-Tech

·
Registered
4,967 Posts

You know what else I hate? I really hate people who swerve a little to the left before they turn right, especially when they are too cool to signal (as is most of California).
Yes!!! I'd give you a hundred reps!! Absolutely! That last lean into a right is a crazy maker!

·
Registered
11,088 Posts
Acura has it figured out...if you only push the lock button once, it's silent. push it twice, the horn honks to confirm.

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
Yea, I get a big kick out of those idiots at starbucks (or other places), they have to hit their button like 5 times in a row, to lock the car. Then forget their purse (ha) and have to start all over again.
They usually have a smart fone in their dumb faces. .... and don't even get me started on "Strava following"

·
Registered
456 Posts
Yea, I get a big kick out of those idiots at starbucks (or other places), they have to hit their button like 5 times in a row, to lock the car. Then forget their purse (ha) and have to start all over again.
They usually have a smart fone in their dumb faces. .... and don't even get me started on "Strava following"
I follow lots of people on my Starbucks app.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Acura has it figured out...if you only push the lock button once, it's silent. push it twice, the horn honks to confirm.
That's how my Honda key works too. Honda makes Accura, so I guess that is to be expected. Any way to turn that off completely?

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
That's why I love my two Hondas. I can remember that I locked my car by hearing the horn honk.
The only time I don't hit the lock button twice is when I'm near a very small child in a parking lot. It scares them.
Cyclists? Really? It's only a small beep, as in a friendly honk - not hooonnnnnkkkkk as in get off the road!

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Only peripherally related, but I hate backup beepers on trucks and construction equipment.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Not sure how "forgetting if you locked your car" is a thing - immediately after locking it. Press the button... "Did I press the button?" Honk! "Yep, I pressed the button, whew."

My pet peeve is cars and trucks passing me 18" away at 45 mph, making no effort to move left even a little. I'm okay with parked cars that go beep.

·
Registered
396 Posts
There is a truck in my city that is one of those 4X4 10 feet up in the air trucks. I was on a lunch time ride and though he didn't honk at me, he honked at some folks at a bus stop about 100 feet in front of me. It was a train horn; literally, it was that loud. Everyone at the bus stop jumped. I've seen him again on the road. I'm still thinking about payback.
Happened to me yesterday... I was going through an underpass when he decides to drop his brodozer into neutral and rev his throttle, not the most pleasant of experiences with a muffler-less exhaust.

When it didn't illicit a response from me, he pulls up to me again and starts honking, fortunately, it wasn't a train horn, but still irritating.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts