Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes this is the dumbest question of the year, but curiousity got me, can one wheelie a road bike? Im sure coming down would bend your wheels, I'd never really try it just curious. In any other sport you win you can do something cool, wheelies, burnouts, flips, club release :) On road bikes what the heck do you do?

Kyle

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
no

there was a guy at the chattanooga mountain century in early may who was riding wheelies on the road bike, some while climbing. insane.

floyd landis of us postal fame can ride wheelies on the road bike. there are some (or one) graham watson pics someplace of this.

·
Still waiting......
1,321 Posts
No Chance

I can barely stay upright on two wheels

Funny you ask this question today. I was on a hard training ride yesterday, passed a guy on an interstate overpass, said hello, he said hi, then he started yelling "do a wheelie, do a wheelie".

Almost forgot about it until you posted your question

The pix of floyd doing the wheelie after the final tour stage is great.

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Guilty

... Well I asked because out of sheer curiosity near some grass I realized it would take INCREDIBLE power, and you would need to be at a high speed to pull it off. Just thought the idea sounded so silly, pics would be AWESOME!

Kyle

·
Registered
158 Posts
J's Haiku Shop said:
floyd landis of us postal fame can ride wheelies on the road bike. there are some (or one) graham watson pics someplace of this.
GISed, and found <a href="https://www.abbiorca.com/bike/road/road2002/sfgrandprix-9-15-02/image/IMG_5942.jpg" target="_blank">a pic</a>. Looks like he's climbing in SF--insane.

Also, wasn't there a scene of it in like "American Flyers."

Personally, I like my wheels too much. And my bike. And my backside...

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Whoa, just saw the pic, thats a new desktop, cause that is just the coolest looking thing I have ever seen. Great way to intimidate people huh? Some guy all over you on a hill and you pull on him in a wheelie... yea he is scared.

Kyle

·
go up
648 Posts
I used to. . .

When I was 13 or 14 a couple of my friends and I decided to see if we could make it across a golf course fairway. My front wheel fell off as soon as I got it off the ground. I was thinking, "HOLY COW, I'm in trouble!" I managed to put hop off the back rather than planting the fork.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
IUbike said:
Yes this is the dumbest question of the year, but curiousity got me, can one wheelie a road bike? Im sure coming down would bend your wheels, I'd never really try it just curious. In any other sport you win you can do something cool, wheelies, burnouts, flips, club release :) On road bikes what the heck do you do?

Kyle
Sure you can...it's just a bit harder than doing it on your Schwinn Stingray though. I used to be able to ride forever in a wheelie on my old Schwinn LeTour.

·
Overequipped, underlegged
800 Posts
Someone dared me to do this a month ago in school. I know i shouldn't have, but i dont take being challenged very well, so i tried and pull it off. If by doing a wheelie u mean lifting the front wheel and going a couple of meters, then yes, i did succeed, but nothing quite as spectacular as the guy in the pic you posted.
I did it on a 34x23.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Why not?

I’m not a particularly high functioning roadie, and I can do it. I can’t ride very far on a wheelie, but getting the front wheel off the ground is no big deal.

Other cool (to me) roadie tricks would be nose wheelie stops (low speed, unless it’s a panic-stop), track stands and bunny hops. My wheels don’t seem to mind one bit.

The coolest trick to me is peeing while riding. I can’t fathom that one - wouldn’t even consider trying it.

- Chris

IUbike said:

Kyle

·
Registered
69 Posts
Ok, so what about bunny hops? I do them regurlarly. Definitely easier than riding a wheelie on a road bike, but just as thrilling. Today I was descending at about 40 when I saw a cattle gaurd ahead. The first thing I thought was, "I'll have to hop over that." So I sped up and did a little hop when I got there. It's a lot of fun.

·
chica cyclista
2,842 Posts
plenty of roadies I know can

Wheelies on a road bike are neither impossible, nor hard on your equipment if you have proper technique.

I can pop the front wheel up on the roadie, but can't keep it balanced there. I'm too paranoid of 'looping out' (falling over backward). That has nothing to do with ease of the trick, it's just me being an old conservative female who really hates having to fall down in order to learn a skill. I'm a really crappy MTB'er because of this. What I can tell you is that low speed and the correct gear are key. Something torquey but not too small so you can throw down a good initial power stroke; 39/19 works for me. Going slightly uphill makes it easier. The standard geometry of my crit bike seems easier to wheelie than my compact 'nag roadie, considering neither were designed with circus tricks in mind.

I've known lots of teenage roadies who can wheelie quite impressively because they practise all the time while they are bored messing around between rounds at the local track or crit. Seen quite a few loopouts too, tho, and coming wrong way round off a 700c wheel is a longer way to fall onto pavement than from a BMX or even MTB.

Floyd Landis is a former BMX champion who became a pro MTB'er then got bored with that and switched to road racing. Unsurprising he can pull stunts like this; it is rumoured that he's got some crazy handling skills at speed as well. This is why I always recommend Masters racers who ask me how to get their 8-12 Y.O.s into racing to have them start with BMX first, as it builds great skills, won't break the bank on equipment and is far more appropriate to the attention span of kids that age than having them do 45 minute solo TTs off the back of a all-ages Junior field on the road. Most of the really good crit racers I know started off in the BMX arena.

As far as the "fragile wheels" angle, you would be amazed at what you can dish out to a set of road wheels when you know what you're doing. I've leapt my "crazy light" 303s over cattle guards at close to 100 kph on a descent without knocking them the slightest bit off true, and I'm a healthy woman, not some 110# climbing waif. I frequently train and race on gravel roads that look as tho they've been carpet bombed, too. Watch how a ballet dancer or gymnast lands jumps; they land like a feather by sucking up the impact in their hips / knees / ankles. That's the best tip for keeping wheels from folding up, whether you're catching air on road, singletrack or just riding over RR trax and NYC pavement. It's easier said than done tho, and it takes a fair bit of core strength in your abs and back to "ride light" on rough stuff and/or jumps, so if you're tired of truing wheels and serious about getting good at this you might consider joining your wife / GF at Pilates class once a week.

I could wheelie like a demon on my Klein hardtail. Wish to heck I'd never sold that bike.

·
Man, I need a shower !
156 Posts
I can wheelie like a mo-fo on my mtn bike. I won't even try it on my road bikes. Would probably go over backwards and/or break my CF frames. Neither is worth it just to be able to answer "yes".

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
IUbike said:

Kyle
I saw another pic of one of the track sprinters riding a one-handed wheelie. I thought to myself "that can't be TOO hard..."

Tried it. Got the wheel off the ground a little.
Tried it again, a little higher.

Hey, that's not so bad...

REALLY yanked on the bars, torquing at the same time.

Missed the balance point by a bit and over the back I went. Whacked my elbow a bit, injured my ego even more!

I've been trying it on the mtn bike again 'cause I used to be VERY good at wheelies as a kid. I found my friend's C-dale does better than my Dean...

M

·
Registered
88 Posts
kind of funny...

i remember a kid down the street when i was in high school who could ride a wheelie on his schwin varsity 10sp all the way down the street. i used to be able to do it on my motorcycle (dirt bike) forever -sometimes while standing on the seat, but i don't have much desire to go through the pain of learning how to do it on my road bike.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Whoa.So many of us can pull a wheelie...!

The question should be modified:

Can you do a wheelie on your Colnago/Pinarello/Time/Look/De Rosa/ Seven/ Fondriest/ Litespeed/Serotta.......?

·
Registered
125 Posts
lonefrontranger said:
I've leapt my "crazy light" 303s over cattle guards at close to 100 kph on a descent without knocking them the slightest bit off true, and I'm a healthy woman, not some 110# climbing waif.
Woah, are you serious? Bunny hopping at 60 mph! I think I might have to take exception to you saying that you are an "old conservative female".

I bunny hop all the time over potholes and rough spots. Mostly I do it for fun, but the experience comes in real handy in the situations where I actually need it, like when I come upon a monster pothole that I didn't see, and it is too late to steer around. However, I have never attempted this trick at anything over 50kph or so, when I get close to 100 I'm just hanging on for dear life, not trying to hop things! Not that there are many places I can hit that kind of speed in Western NY.

But yeah I agree about the wheels, they are pretty tough, landing a bunny hop hardly even stresses the wheels if done properly. Hitting the potholes that lurk in my neck of the woods would be a far worse choice. Incidentally, speed isn't going to change how hard you land, but how high you jump will.

-Spyky

1 - 20 of 34 Posts