Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I currently have a few differnet jersey and team kit combos.
I have a Size SM 2007 Saunier Duval 1/4 zip jersey that fits great! It's just tight enough and the length is perfect. I belieive it's made by Santini.

I have 2 other jerseyes: a local club team and a friend's team. All the jersey's I have are size SM. Both of these jerseys are pretty loose around the sleeves and abdomen and a little too long. I think the club jersey is made by Giordana and my friend's jersey is made by a company in Columbia. I was thinking about getting them altered.

Has anyone ever had this done?
Did it come out well?
Anything specific I should tell the alterations place?

Thanks,

Craig

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Of course you can

csh8428 said:
I currently have a few differnet jersey and team kit combos.
I have a Size SM 2007 Saunier Duval 1/4 zip jersey that fits great! It's just tight enough and the length is perfect. I belieive it's made by Santini.

I have 2 other jerseyes: a local club team and a friend's team. All the jersey's I have are size SM. Both of these jerseys are pretty loose around the sleeves and abdomen and a little too long. I think the club jersey is made by Giordana and my friend's jersey is made by a company in Columbia. I was thinking about getting them altered.

Has anyone ever had this done?
Did it come out well?
Anything specific I should tell the alterations place?

Thanks,

Criag

I do my own. In fact, I alter many of my cycling clothes -- jerseys, undershirts, shorts, tights, legwarmers. Any competent tailor can do it (if you can find an old Italian guy, that's perfect -- say something about Gino Bartali or Fausto Coppi and you'll be a favored customer ;-) .

I'm surprised more cyclists don't think of this, since people are always fussing about finding a precise fit.

·
Registered
21,637 Posts
Local seamstress

csh8428 said:
I was thinking about getting them altered. Has anyone ever had this done?
Almost every town of a reasonable size has a seamstress, and often dry cleaners know their names. IME, they will tell you if they feel comfortable with doing strech fabrics, etc.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
I bought a sewing machine a few years ago for the express purpose of repairing cycling clothing. Of course, I've learned to do more than that by now but I consider myself a Cat. 5 still! It's all a matter of finding a few good books and experimenting on clothes you don't care about, like T-shirts. Once you get the technique down, you transfer the concept over to your cycling clothes. I've turned long sleeve jerseys into short sleeves and installed new elastic in the waistband to remove any baggy fit.

Anyway, if you don't want to tackle it yourself, I recommend, like the others, to find a local seamstress in the Yellow pages; some people merely have signs hanging in their front yards. Funny how you notice them when you're riding but you can't for the life of you remember where they are when you need them! You could also ask at a bridal shop. Bring with you the jersey that fits well as an example.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,922 Posts
my wife does mine and if she is too busy I do it myself. She is better than I am with a sewing machine, BUT mine never come apart either so..............

edit: most cycling clothing requires a serger to do properly, fortunately we have 2

·
Baltic Scum
1,826 Posts
JCavilia said:
...if you can find an old Italian guy, that's perfect -- say something about Gino Bartali or Fausto Coppi and you'll be a favored customer ;-)
I'd like to have some stuff repaired. Too bad there are no Korean cycling legends around.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts