1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Andre Greipel's power file from Flanders has been released:

Blog Post - Power Analysis: Andre Greipel's Tour of Flanders | TrainingPeaks
Actual File - Activity | TrainingPeaks

So looking at his IF of 0.89 and his NP of 368 watts let's compute his FTP. Since IF = NP/FTP we can go backwards from these numbers. 368 (NP) / 0.89 (IF ) = 413W (FTP). His weight is 305 (W avg) / 3.67 (W/kg avg) = 83kg. So his W/kg is 413W / 83kg=4.98 W/Kg.

Given his ability to work at his near FTP for long periods of time (IF was 89% for 6 hours!) I would say he could probably show up to nearly any domestic Cat1/2 race and beat your local climbers!

·
Registered
589 Posts
Don't need any calculations to tell you that. I'd wager anyone riding in pro tour events could win any event state site, any. Crit, TT, road race, hill climb you name it.

Have you read Cavendish's book Boy Racer where a guy ask him how long he (average joe) could survive at the start of a TdF stage? Cavendish explains how he could not even make it to mile zero of the rolling start. Those guys are on a different level completely drugs or no drugs.

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
I would say he could probably show up to nearly any domestic Cat1/2 race and beat your local climbers!
Of course.

A guy I know who's a cat 1, former olympian, former pro team member. He was out riding one of the local climbs before the Tour of California. On of the pro teams was on the climb, going at a pace where they could talk. He passed them, being friendly as he went by, and then tried to hold them off. When he got to the top totally spent they were just behind him, laughing.

When this guy shows up to a group ride I'm on I know I'm going to get dropped. He's a level or two above me, and the pros are at least that much above him.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don't need any calculations to tell you that.
I know a couple people with some seriously impressive hill climb times that claim they could out climb sprinters. I still laugh when they say that and they get very pissed. One of them tried to tell me Cavendish was pudgy with a belly.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Greipel is only a lousy climber compared to the GC contenders. He'd still drop us like we were tied to cement blocks on a HC climb. Few of us would likely finish a Grand Tour mountain stage within the time cut-off'

·
Registered
11,088 Posts
genetic freaks who train 25K+ miles a year are faster than Joe Nobody...?

stop. the. presses.

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,806 Posts
I was at turn 6 of the Alpe DHuez stage in 2011. The grupetto with all the sprinters comes through at the end, joking and smiling, going about 13-15 mph I'd guess. This is a 9% grade. I struggled through earlier in the day at about 7 or 8 after riding to the bottom, turning around and riding back up.

·
Registered
12,085 Posts
Many years ago I did the Joe Martin uphill ITT. My best ~10 minute power effort wasn't even enough to beat domestic pros who likely weren't even trying. I think I was 10 seconds slower than the slowest pro.

·
Registered
218 Posts
My tiny brain cannot comprehend this:

'Greipel ascends the Oude Kwaremont for the first time at the 197k mark. He sets his Peak 5 minute power on this ascent averaging 455W, or 5.48W/kg at 86rpm, peaking at 716W.'

200K into a very hard race, he averaged over 450w. A TSS of almost 500 is crazy.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I saw George Hinncapie(sp) race twice against the Joe's the first time was IIRC a 1.7 mile crit and he finished 7th. This was in the late 90's right after the TDF. This was at a race called The Carolina Cup in Greensboro NC it's a pretty good deal. Being a crit he could have gotten boxed in or was using this as a training ride.

The second time was at an event called Bridge to Bridge, it's start in Lenoir NC and finishes at Grandfather Mountain at they mile high bridge. I was standing at he end of a 10 mile climb as George and 3 other guys came by at a pretty fast pace have a normal conversation like they were out for an easy day. They about 20 minutes faster than the next group. Although it's not an official race they did 100 miles in right at 5 hours.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
I saw George Hinncapie(sp) race twice against the Joe's the first time was IIRC a 1.7 mile crit and he finished 7th. This was in the late 90's right after the TDF. This was at a race called The Carolina Cup in Greensboro NC it's a pretty good deal. Being a crit he could have gotten boxed in or was using this as a training ride.
I raced Hincapie a few times at crits in Greenville and around. A crit does nothing to showcase what he can do. Plus those were probably publicity stunts where he likely made a nice pile of money for just showing up.

Domestic pros are very, very good at racing crits. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see roleur types, not to mention regular domestiques or climbers, struggle to finish top ten or even top 20 in an NRC crit. Even sprinters like Caleb Ewan get beat in crits by amateurs/local pros as seen earlier this year in Australia.

A crit is a free-for-all on wheels. If I were a protour guy I wouldn't even risk doing a regular NRC crit unless I was getting some big money for showing up (not including stage race crits, which are a bit different).

1 - 20 of 88 Posts