Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got two holes today in my Conti Attack/Force tires (great tires btw). Patching the tube is no problem, but can i patch the tire? The whole in the tire is getting to the point that the tube is pushing through and then popping.

The tires still have plenty of tread. I dont want to throw them away. Can I repair them?

Thanks.

·
Rub it............
3,833 Posts
Yes, get a tire boot and some shoe goo. Boot the inside, shoe goo the outside.

·
eRacer
2,555 Posts
Agree...
Boot
If a bulge try Shoe Goo.
If booted and still a significant bulge, may be necessary to replace.

john

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks fellas.

I googled tire boot and found this. I've been riding for 7 years now and didnt even now this product existed.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
How long is the slit in the tire? You said (I think) that the tube is bulging out so far it pops. Usually, that's unrepairable. You've probably cut too much of the tire body. You can try a boot of some sort (try duct tape), but I wouldn't bet on it.

So how long is the cut?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Those boots are for emergency's only, and are not really supposed to be a permanent solution. They work well enough, but using a piece of old tire will usually work better. I've used boots before as a permanent solution, and they have generally held up, but you do run a much greater risk of blowing out the tire with one especially on the front.

·
Registered
21,580 Posts
Increased risk

dcl10 said:
I've used boots before as a permanent solution, and they have generally held up, but you do run a much greater risk of blowing out the tire with one especially on the front.
How so? I've used Tyvek boots for thousands of miles with no issues. You cite "much greater risk " so what am I doing wrong?

·
Höchstgeschwindigkeit
1,378 Posts
Ja Das Boot. Although no one asked if its the side wall. If it is I think you are through with the tire.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I just have never thought of boot patching a tire that has a hole. It just always seemed like that would be the time to buy a new tire.

Let's just say that on a 45 mile an hour descent, I don't want to worry about the boot disintegrating.

·
Registered
21,580 Posts
Entropy attacks!

Hooben said:
Let's just say that on a 45 mile an hour descent, I don't want to worry about the boot disintegrating.
Do you have sudden, pinpoint targeted entropy surges in your area? Why would a tire boot disintegrate?

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Like dcl10 stated...Those boots are for emergency's only, and are not really supposed to be a permanent solution

I just don't think a tire boot could be trusted that much...long term.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts