Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a article about a classic Da Vinci drawing of hands & feet that LOOKS like it contains a hidden self portrait.

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2009/03/eastern_oregon_professor_wife.html

The actual drawing, the relevant segment and his classic self portrait are below. Move back from your monitor, or unfocus your eyes, turn you head a bit to the right, and see if you can see the self portrait. According to the article, DaVinci experts see nothing but hands and feet in the drawing. Does anyone else see it? I do...
 

·
®
Joined
·
3,209 Posts
i suppose it could be a hidden self-portrait, but it's pretty crude. it's probably coincidence. i see faces everywhere, in almost everything. for some reason, my brain is always on the lookout for patterns that resemble faces. this "hidden face" ranks pretty low as far as things that look like faces go.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the_dude said:
i suppose it could be a hidden self-portrait, but it's pretty crude. it's probably coincidence. i see faces everywhere, in almost everything. for some reason, my brain is always on the lookout for patterns that resemble faces. this "hidden face" ranks pretty low as far as things that look like faces go.
The only problem with the coincidence theory though is why have that one foot bone overlapping the other ankle bone?
 

·
®
Joined
·
3,209 Posts
PdxMark said:
The only problem with the coincidence theory though is why have that one foot bone overlapping the other ankle bone?

from my view, the overlapping bones only detract from the image of a face.
 

·
tofurkey hunting
Joined
·
4,733 Posts
i just saw a thing on da vinci...many experts aren't even sure that the "old man" picture taken to be him is actually him....so, ymmv

and he really wasn't all that important in his own time. i don't know what that has to do with anything....but, whatevs
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,182 Posts
When I was over in Italy they had a lot of Devinci's original sketchings and designs in a museum...pretty amazing stuff, but no, I don't see any face in that drawing.
 

·
Climbs like a sprinter...
Joined
·
6,976 Posts
Oh, and BTW, referring to Leonardo as Da Vince shows major ignorance. Da Vince means of Vince (the city) Paraphrased it would be Leo from Vince. It's kind of like referring to Andrea(138) from Memphis as Da Memphis. Moreons.

The above is another reason Dan Brown is an ignoramus. It amazes me how many people believe his drivel to be fact.
 

·
Seat's not level
Joined
·
19,372 Posts
bmxhacksaw said:
Oh, and BTW, referring to Leonardo as Da Vince shows major ignorance. Da Vince means of Vince (the city) Paraphrased it would be Leo from Vince. It's kind of like referring to Andrea(138) from Memphis as Da Memphis. Moreons.
It keeps everyone from confusing him with the titanic guy.
 

·
Steaming piles of opinion
Joined
·
10,503 Posts
bmxhacksaw said:
Oh, and BTW, referring to Leonardo as Da Vince shows major ignorance. Da Vince means of Vince (the city) Paraphrased it would be Leo from Vince. It's kind of like referring to Andrea(138) from Memphis as Da Memphis. Moreons.

The above is another reason Dan Brown is an ignoramus. It amazes me how many people believe his drivel to be fact.
See also: Common usage. Just because a thing isn't 'correct', doesn't mean that it's wrong.

In his time, he would have been referred to as Leonardo, son of Piero (xtrans) when in his local area. Away from Vinci and environs, he (in polite company) would have been referred to roughly as "the gentleman from Vinci," and hence very much as ser Da Vinci.

So the modernism of referring to him only as Leonardo is not all that correct, either.

at least the moreons spelt the name of the town good. Just sayin.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top