Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been told to avoid buying a Carbon fram used because if can't tell if it was damaged in a wreck other than maybe X-Raying it & even then no one was sure how to even inturpt the x-ray if you could do it. I understand that the comon carbon fiber pattern we all see is only the top layer of the process & all of the other layers run in a single linear pattern. Anyone have thoughts????

· Registered
21,834 Posts
Bad advice

garhead said:
I have been told to avoid buying a Carbon fram used because if can't tell if it was damaged in a wreck other than maybe X-Raying it & even then no one was sure how to even inturpt the x-ray if you could do it. I understand that the comon carbon fiber pattern we all see is only the top layer of the process & all of the other layers run in a single linear pattern. Anyone have thoughts????
A close visual inspection for cracks is all you need to do. You got bad advice. It's the same thing you should do with a painted metal frame. If the frame is failing, or took a hit hard enough to cause damage, it would show through the paint.

· Registered
453 Posts
I'd like to know where the rest of the downtube is, without that, well, you know...

· Bacon!
9,193 Posts
I thought it hit a coffee table! Where's the superglue!

· Rollin' Stones
2,641 Posts
Freezing temps.

That's why you don't ride carbon fiber in the cold, it snaps. :) Anyone have a pic of a carbon bike in the heat? They melt! :)

· Registered
453 Posts
ari said:
Looks like it's in the lower right corner of the picture ... yikes.
Ah, so it is. How does one go about doing this? Was someone confusing a road bike with a downhill bike?

· Registered
302 Posts
stamp adams said:
Seriously, some history here. What happened to do this to this frame?
Sebastian Lang, stage 7 of this year's inaugural Amgen Tour of California. If memory serves (and it doesn't always) about 6-8 riders piled up, Lang remounted but abandoned shortly after with a wrist/hand injury.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.