Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shifter housing are laid straight and brake housing are spiral wound. I have to replace one section of my rear brake cable housing. I have some housing left over from the shifter cables. I know that one should not use brake housing for the shifters. Is it ok to use the shifter housing for the brakes?

Ride Safe,

Joe

·
Frog Whisperer
41,018 Posts
Shifter housing are laid straight and brake housing are spiral wound. I have to replace one section of my rear brake cable housing. I have some housing left over from the shifter cables. I know that one should not use brake housing for the shifters. Is it ok to use the shifter housing for the brakes?

Ride Safe,

Joe
never tried but I am not sure the cable core will fit and move freely in the housing

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,665 Posts
NOOOOOOOOO!

shift housing is NOT designed to take the compression that can be generated under braking forces. it will split and fail. let me repeat...

NO, DO NOT DO THIS.

·
Registered
249 Posts
^ This.

Using brake housing for a shift cable is a poor choice. Using shift housing for a brake cable is a REALLY poor choice. Save the shift housing for your next re-cabling project.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cxwrench,

This was the answer I was hoping for. A reason. It now makes sense that the straight cables my buckle under breaking load. Thanks for the reply.

Ride Safe,

Joe

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.