Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I decided to take the day off today and, like Dr. Hoo, headed out on the bike.

You would think I would be old enough to remember the dangers of shaded mountain roads at this time of year.

Didn't stop me from just being flat out stupid going into an inside hairpin, well out goes the back wheel, down goes me.

Boy it has been a long time since I put a bike down. Forgot about the "slow motion" slide. Amazed at how far the bike kept going even after I stopped.

Also, forgot about how much the hip stiffens up as you keep going to get back home. I don't remember getting this sore when I was younger and did stupid things like this!

I'm getting way too damn old to falling off my bike!!

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
I haven't done the slo-mo slide but I did do a slo-mo fly and splat.
I hope you and the bike are okay.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My pride is damaged - does that count?

Bar tape is torn, brand new Regal Saddle is scuffed up and I have a mighty impressive chunk of road rash on the hip.

Fortunately neither the winter tights, nor the stupid expensive Santini winter jacket are ripped.

Mainly my hip and my pride. Thank you for the concern, how did you go over??

I hate that "slo-mo", it's like a car accident.

·
A Canadian in Sweden
6,130 Posts
Ouch! That hurts. Hope you're feeling alright. It never happened to me when I lived in Montreal, but it happen here in Sweden a few years ago. I was leaving a parking lot and slid sideways, almost did the splits and down I went. It was mostly my pride and ego that hurt. Strangely enough, I was on my mtb commuter with studded tires. Obviously they didn't help that day.
Cheers, Wayne

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
toomanybikes said:
My pride is damaged - does that count?

Bar tape is torn, brand new Regal Saddle is scuffed up and I have a mighty impressive chunk of road rash on the hip.

Fortunately neither the winter tights, nor the stupid expensive Santini winter jacket are ripped.

Mainly my hip and my pride. Thank you for the concern, how did you go over??

I hate that "slo-mo", it's like a car accident.
Pride counts but it's less expensive than the other items you mentioned ;) Glad to hear you are okay, I hope the rash clears up quickly.
A car hit me when I was about 13. He was on a side road, I on the main, I crossed in front of him and he saw a break in traffic and accelerated into me. I flew across two lanes and landed on the shoulder on the other side of the road. My pedal and crank were bent into the frame and my shins were all banged and cut to hell. It was messy, he offered to drive me home but I refused to get in the car with him...could have been a freak!

·
Registered
806 Posts
Been there, done that.

When I lived in upstate NY, just getting back into riding over 10 years ago, I tried to ride to work one day...

Black ice, and the rear wheel was suddenly trying to be the front wheel. I went down and slid quite a distance, with the bike leading me. When I realized I wasn't hurt (leather jacket and jeans helped) I got up and rode a little shakily to work.

A week later, following an ice storm, I decided it was too dangerous to ride and set out to walk to work. Two blocks from my apartment I slipped and broke my ankle. Some days, you just can't win.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ain't it the truth ........

I go out today to make sure thatmy hip doesn't stiffen up too much, but I've learned my lesson from yesterday, take it easy through the turns .. works pretty well except for all the gravel that's been thrown . ........

Anyway, got my foot out of the pedal and down before I went down again today from gravel.

I'm putting the fat tires back on for a while. I normally ride Campo Cross or Michelin Jet tires through the winter - they're going back on tomorrow before I go out.

·
gazing from the shadows
27,287 Posts
toomanybikes said:
I decided to take the day off today and, like Dr. Hoo, headed out on the bike.
Oh, I was close to joining you in pain several times! The way in was almost all clear, but the way back I managed to find lots of ice. Luckily it was all punky and quite visible white ice, so I could stay upright.

Ice, sand, gravel.... take care in the corners until after the first big RAIN in the spring. That's my rule.

Look on the bright side, on ice the road rash is a lot less!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I fell two weeks ago in similar circumstances. My street was glazed in the morning and the bike washed out from under me. My backpack (together with my left buttock and elbow :p ) broke my fall.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts