Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Matnlely Dregaend
4,933 Posts
The US should do the same with Creed albums.

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The US should do the same with Creed albums.
I believe we blasted rock music to get Noriega to surrender in 1989. I believe that KC and the Sunshine band was on the playlist so that counts as cruel and unusual punishment

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
Canadian government torturing it's own citizens is nothing new. TV and Radio have been require by law to have certain percentages of "Canadian Content" since the late 60's.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
Canadian government torturing it's own citizens is nothing new. TV and Radio have been require by law to have certain percentages of "Canadian Content" since the late 60's.
Tell me about it. My local station has The Tragically Hip in heavy rotation- now that's torture. I'd rather listen to Nickelback.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Anyone ever hear William Shatner do a cover of Rocket Man?
Our library had the entire CD. I could not listen to the whole thing (even deaf people could not make it all the way through). Is it a coincidence that Shatner is also... Canadian?

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
So true.

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
Tell me about it. My local station has The Tragically Hip in heavy rotation- now that's torture. I'd rather listen to Nickelback.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one that doesn't like Tragically Hip. Our radio station plays them every third song. Their alternate band is AC/DC which is another one I can't stand.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
And you're one of the lucky ones if I remember correctly where you've said you're from.
My exposure to this cruel torture technique is from tons of driving around Quebec.
It's bad, real bad.

Music is definitely absent from the otherwise impressive list of cultural contributions from French speakers around the world and no where is it more absent than Quebec.

I get that rural radio is pretty lame just about anywhere but the thing in Quebec is once you get within range of Montreal it gets even worse. At least French wannabe Bob Dylan is easy on the ears whereas you know you're getting close to Montreal when that electonica/crap/house/whatever stuff comes on and you're not sure if it's the radio or if you need to get to a car repair shop really quick.

The trade off, though, is I get to see plenty of hockey news on TV at night even in the middle of July and I like that. Although, a third line left wing tapeing up shin pads before a summer workout isn't all that exciting.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
I retired to the paradise on earth that is the Niagara Region. :)

Giant FM is everywhere here Giant FM The home page shows the songs played, and also a link to stream it.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
I retired to the paradise on earth that is the Niagara Region. :)

Giant FM is everywhere here Giant FM The home page shows the songs played, and also a link to stream it.
Nice. That's very typical of my home State of NH. They found a playlist in 1985 and are sticking with it.
I'm little shocked not to see any Skynard going back to 9:17pm last night on the play list though. But la Grange by ZZ top more than makes up for that.

·
Super Moderator
40,807 Posts
And you're one of the lucky ones if I remember correctly where you've said you're from.
My exposure to this cruel torture technique is from tons of driving around Quebec.
It's bad, real bad.

Music is definitely absent from the otherwise impressive list of cultural contributions from French speakers around the world and no where is it more absent than Quebec.

I get that rural radio is pretty lame just about anywhere but the thing in Quebec is once you get within range of Montreal it gets even worse. At least French wannabe Bob Dylan is easy on the ears whereas you know you're getting close to Montreal when that electonica/crap/house/whatever stuff comes on and you're not sure if it's the radio or if you need to get to a car repair shop really quick.

The trade off, though, is I get to see plenty of hockey news on TV at night even in the middle of July and I like that. Although, a third line left wing tapeing up shin pads before a summer workout isn't all that exciting.
I may have gotten lucky (or your tastes in music aren't quite as pop-sugary as mine) but years ago on a trip to Montreal, they were having a Francophile music fest outside my hotel, and I got to see these fellows, and they were terrific:

This cover is the only cover of this song that I think works as well as the original--sung in French, it seems to have just the right amount of snotty-punk:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts