Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys
I ordered some parts from Performance Bike.com and congratulated myself on saving big time. They sent the order in 3 packages (a wheelset - 1 package each and some groupo components in the 3rd). Shipping was FedEx ground. No other alternative on their web ordering but FedEx air. Packages arrive, then a week later I get a bill from FedEx for the GST (7%) which comes to around US$50 and $110 in fees! $110! That is just robbery! They take $5.75 for paying the duty (which is zero) and tax on your behalf then $30-$40 in 'brokerage fees' FOR EACH PACKAGE! These should be called 'arbitrary rip-off fees'! I got stuff from Pricepoint via USPS air. They arrived faster and just charge CAD$5 in handling. You do the math. DO NOT CHOOSE FEDEX SHIPPING! Now Performance Bike tell me you can request USPS only if you phone the order in. It's a little late now I've got to cough up $110! To add insult - one of the wheels Performance sent me was so badly scratched I sent it back. Looked like someone had taken a tire off it with a metal tire lever. I reckon they thought "lets try sending this rubbish to the Canadian guy and see if he lives with it". I mean, no way you could have missed this damage. I am seriously not impressed and doubt I will shop with them again. Any others with bad experiences out there? Also any idea if it's possble to get out of paying these crazy FedEx fees. I didn't agree to them as far as I'm aware and knew nothing about them until the bill landed. Thanks for reading if you go this far.
Props to Pricepoint.com, by the way, for all parts in perfect condition and for using USPS.

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
What a scam! I'd be pretty pissed at Performance for not putting everything in one box, but then I've been pissed at Performance for a long time now and won't shop there.

I am probably a wanted man in France because I never payed FedEx 36F in VAT charges on a delivery I got in Paris back in 1988. Does that make you feel any better?

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
I work for a catalog company in the US, and the gyrations we went through when we started shipping into Canada were astonishing.

We charge an extra $7, and we use a consolidator to get the goods into Canada, then they're shipped to the customer via Canada Post. There may still be duties and taxes, and we make clear in our shipping policies that the customer is responsible for those. And this is as customer-friendly as we could make it (we hear that sometimes duties are charged on our packages and sometimes they aren't--no idea what the deal is).

I can't believe that anyone would mail-order goods into Canada from the US because of all the duties and fees. So I'm not surprised you got screwed--I'm surprised we don't hear more about this.

I feel for ya, man.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Same deal at Supergo (now Performance)

I got burned the same way by Supergo. Ordered 4 items, all in stock at time of order. Arrive in 3 packages about 1 week apart...with the HUGE fees on each...That was my last order.

·
gastarbeiter
1,513 Posts
have heard many a time about how tough canadian coustoms can be via my other time-consuming and expensive habit: watch collecting.

FedEx, and most other couriers for that matter, have customs agents who go out of their way to nail you, then charge you.

registered airmail is the way to go, if possible.

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
The only thing you can fault Performance for is the packaging and scratched wheel. Blame FedEx and your own governments policies for the VAT and other charges. I agree, they're outrageous and are a big impediment to doing business.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Your situation is typical and thanks for sharing as it may help out others who have not been burned before.

I have never been burned and am lucky enough to have relatives who live in the US who I send all of my stuff to, and just ask them to bring it up for me or I pick it up myself when I visit. This is how I got my frame into Canada.

Think bike parts are bad... try having a knife sent (like some type of folder) shipped to Canada that is 100% legal, as anyone can walk into a store and buy the exact model in Canada. But if it is shipped? No chance, in getting that stuff. Just confiscated. I am sure all of our customs officials have really nice stash of our stuff for their own personal use. I mean you cannot even get customs to send it back to the sender so you can get a refund. Read any knife forum and be amazed at the cases reported by members.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Blame where it's justified

Mel Erickson said:
The only thing you can fault Performance for is the packaging and scratched wheel. Blame FedEx and your own governments policies for the VAT and other charges. I agree, they're outrageous and are a big impediment to doing business.
Mel - what you say has some validity. Still I think Performance has a duty to help its customers. If I was in the business of providing a quality service, cared about my customers and keeping their business, then I'd make it my business to a) research options properly b) make sure they are fully informed. How hard would it be for Performance to check up on this, note a customers location and advise them on the most cost effective method of shipping? Not very hard I'd say. Furthermore, they do not offer the USPS shipping on their website. You have to phone. Now I know this after the fact. First timers like me have no idea of charges. Is it too much to hope that they might care enough to look into it and advise us? I don't think so, so I'm not giving them the benefit of the doubt here. And the scratched wheel and poor packing is further evidence of their attitude. They had one chance to impress me as a company and they've failed.

Furthermore, Canadian policy has no effect on the FedEx charges. What I'm talking about is their charges ABOVE these. There is no duty and only 7% tax on bike parts. FedEx take a fat fee for doing precisely nothing in this case, other than filling out reems of their own forms.

·
chamois creme addict
1,479 Posts
Mail it in

jgknight said:
Guys
I ordered some parts from Performance Bike.com and congratulated myself on saving big time. They sent the order in 3 packages (a wheelset - 1 package each and some groupo components in the 3rd). Shipping was FedEx ground. No other alternative on their web ordering but FedEx air. Packages arrive, then a week later I get a bill from FedEx for the GST (7%) which comes to around US$50 and $110 in fees! $110! That is just robbery! They take $5.75 for paying the duty (which is zero) and tax on your behalf then $30-$40 in 'brokerage fees' FOR EACH PACKAGE! These should be called 'arbitrary rip-off fees'! I got stuff from Pricepoint via USPS air. They arrived faster and just charge CAD$5 in handling. You do the math. DO NOT CHOOSE FEDEX SHIPPING! Now Performance Bike tell me you can request USPS only if you phone the order in. It's a little late now I've got to cough up $110! To add insult - one of the wheels Performance sent me was so badly scratched I sent it back. Looked like someone had taken a tire off it with a metal tire lever. I reckon they thought "lets try sending this rubbish to the Canadian guy and see if he lives with it". I mean, no way you could have missed this damage. I am seriously not impressed and doubt I will shop with them again. Any others with bad experiences out there? Also any idea if it's possble to get out of paying these crazy FedEx fees. I didn't agree to them as far as I'm aware and knew nothing about them until the bill landed. Thanks for reading if you go this far.
Props to Pricepoint.com, by the way, for all parts in perfect condition and for using USPS.
If it doesn't come by USPS mail, then don't order it and have it shipped to Canada. FedEx and UPS will nail you with brokerage. DHL will also charge brokerage, I have had some hefty fees from orders with Total Cycling in the UK. Now Total Cycling uses a mail carrier but once in Canada it falls into Purolator hands' and they will charge brokerage.

I'm fortunate to live about 2 km from the border in White Rock, BC. I get most of my stuff shipped to Blaine, Washington and then go across and pick it up. I declare the items, and all I have to pay is GST (and PST if the item is clothing). I can get parts much faster this way than if I have them shipped to home. And in a lot of ways it is easier and cheaper than making a trip in Vancouver!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Eric_H
I wondered about shipping to the States and popping over the border to pick it up, since you're only talking a few hours from Van. I've no problem with paying the duty/tax I should as a good citizen and am not trying to avoid these. It's these killer fees I see no justification for that rattle my cage.

Re this method however, I don't have anywhere to ship to stateside. Do you ship to a PO box or a pick up depot or something? Just wondering. thanks.

·
Slowpoke
73 Posts
FedExcessive Charges

I had the same problem with a Performance shipment into Vancouver. A $50 USD front derailleur was about $65 CDN including shipping. Then the FedEx brokerage house bill 3 weeks later for $19 and change. I'm in the middle of selling my home and buying another, so the fight will take place another time when I'm less swamped. I paid the bill.
I needed another part that they have on sale cheap, so have ordered it and am having it shipped to my sister in California. She will readdress the package and send it USPS as a gift. Even with the Calif. sales tax and remailing I'll save money. Screw FedEx ! :D

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
Sending stuff to Canada is a real crapshoot. I don't blame Performance or any other company for not wanting to get involved. You can send similar items using different carriers and get wildly different results and it seems you never get the same results twice, even with the same carrier. How can a company give advice to any customer when they don't know what the results will be on any given shipment? To be honest I don't think Performance cares whether they have customers in Canada or not. Absolutely no offense to Canadians, it's just such a hassle to deal with the wildly different shipping that it's a nighmare.

Performance, or any other company, has no control over additional charges the carrier might apply. I'm not defending Performance for their damaged goods and multiple boxes. Your story is not the first and won't be the last. Unfortunately for Canadians (or fortunately,depending on your point of view), it's best to stick with Canadian businesses. Fortunately you have some good online stores in Canada.

·
Registered
238 Posts
You did not hear this from me

I have ordered from them a few times (performance) and after getting stung the 1st time with the fees, i decided on the 2nd and 3rd time not to pay. Well nothing happened. I even called Fedex , and I think they recover the fees from Performance.

·
Slowpoke
73 Posts
Mel Erickson said:
Sending stuff to Canada is a real crapshoot. I don't blame Performance or any other company for not wanting to get involved. You can send similar items using different carriers and get wildly different results and it seems you never get the same results twice, even with the same carrier. How can a company give advice to any customer when they don't know what the results will be on any given shipment? To be honest I don't think Performance cares whether they have customers in Canada or not. Absolutely no offense to Canadians, it's just such a hassle to deal with the wildly different shipping that it's a nighmare.

Performance, or any other company, has no control over additional charges the carrier might apply. I'm not defending Performance for their damaged goods and multiple boxes. Your story is not the first and won't be the last. Unfortunately for Canadians (or fortunately,depending on your point of view), it's best to stick with Canadian businesses. Fortunately you have some good online stores in Canada.
Can you list some of them for me, please? I haven't found any that sell what I'm looking for in my online quest for various bits and pieces.

·
Slowpoke
73 Posts
toronto-rider said:
I have ordered from them a few times (performance) and after getting stung the 1st time with the fees, i decided on the 2nd and 3rd time not to pay. Well nothing happened. I even called Fedex , and I think they recover the fees from Performance.
I was concerned that they would hold subsequent shipments until I paid, so I wasn't going to get into that fight right now. Maybe I should, though. I'm moving soon, so they would have a hard time proving that it was me that 'owed' them their extortion.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I bought a used wheelset (for $175) on Ebay and ended up paying $67 in fees and taxes to UPS (they were smart enough to make me pay up front).

I've ordered many things since then that have shipped USPS and occasionally get hit with GST (7% tax) if it's a new item.

Nashbar used to ship FEDEX, and i never bothered to pay the brokerage fees, and they've never followed up (and still deliver to me). Recently Nashbar has shipped to me via USPS.

THe best combo seems to be Ebay and USPS - i've ordered heaps of stuff (including a new SWorks frame) and haven't had to pay a dime!

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I'm with you on that one....There are not very many good online retailers in Canada...Why does Mel think we're mail ordering from the US...For the joy of getting burned by the couriers...BTW I have had stuff shipped from Supergo (who I believe owns Performance, or vis-versa), and I purposedly asked fro shipping via USPS....Well the day after I get an email confirming the package has shipped with a FEDEX tracking number...I called them and asked what was up and they stated that they do not use USPS to ship into Canada anymore...It would have been nice if they would have let me know that before I completed my order....In the end I still accepted the purchase and bent over when the Fedex bill arrived...Overall I still saved money, but not as much as I had thought I was going...That's one of the reasons I tend to only use Ebay and ship via USPS...

·
Registered
182 Posts
I got my MTB rear shock rebuilt in California. I shipped Canada Post, and they shipped it back by FedEx. About 2 weeks after I got the shock back, I got a bill for $93 Can from FedEx. It was a whole ordeal to get them to understand that "I already owe it". So far I haven't recieved another bill/noticed. UPS is just as bad too.

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
If you still saved money, even after paying FedEx their exhorbitant fees, what's your complaint? BTW, Supergo is no more. Performance bought them and has now merged them into their Performance brand. Performance also owns Nashbar, FYI.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts