Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put down a deposit in early November, and basically haven't heard a word since.

Three emails in last 4 weeks and no replies - I am just wondering if I should cancel and go somewhere else - any thoughts on reasonable time frames??

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
Too long for me.

But, in order to cancel, you have to get an answer. Which in turn might provide you with a decent reason. Things do happen.

I'd keep trying and see what he has to say. I had the same thing happen, bike was late by a month or so. When I finally got through, there were lots of excuses, but delivery was promised in 2 weeks and it came. That's the problem, the bike is always just around the corner. Ultimately you need to say "either a bike or my deposit check on this date or we let the lawyers settle it."

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
terry b said:
Too long for me.

But, in order to cancel, you have to get an answer. Which in turn might provide you with a decent reason. Things do happen.

I'd keep trying and see what he has to say. I had the same thing happen, bike was late by a month or so. When I finally got through, there were lots of excuses, but delivery was promised in 2 weeks and it came. That's the problem, the bike is always just around the corner. Ultimately you need to say "either a bike or my deposit check on this date or we let the lawyers settle it."
yup - too long for me too.

Of course if I can't get an answer to email - I can't get a return phone call either!

getting PO'd.

I wanted to take this bike to San Diego with me next month at spring break!

·
Cross Bike Collector.....
1,144 Posts
Wife's got a Curtlo

Doug can be tough to get ahold of, I can remember several times sending him emails with no reply. Eventually he would get back to me. He's a one man show and I don't think he has enough time allocated for administrative duties. My wife got her frame about 2 weeks late, because the candy ran and they had to repaint it. turned out really nice though. In fact I sent Doug an email on Friday and heard from him today. Computers have issues. I would call him and leave a message on his phone also.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
i think we PM'd about this last october. sorry you are getting the run around. like i said last year, i was promised my curtlo in about 10 weeks and it took 5 months. apparently, part of the delay was down to true temper being closed for a few weeks over the summer for annual maintenance. whatever.

i love doug's work, but three months with no word from him is not cool. he seems like a great guy, so your frame is probably being built now. i e-mailed back and forth with him a few times yesterday, so i assume he's around. try again and let us know what happens. good luck.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I don't know who/what Curtlo is but if he has your deposit and isn't returning calls then he doesn't know how to run a business.
That is unacceptable. If, as the others suggested, there are extraneous reasons for the delay in getting the bike done, that is no excuse for not communicating with your customer.
A simple call (or return email) saying 'sorry but we are running 3 weeks late...) is all it often takes to keep people happy.
I wonder about warranty stuff with a person like that.
For me, I wouldn't support that kind of business. What does it mean to be a 'nice guy' when you cannot bother responding to people whose money you've accepted?

·
Defender of Freedom...
611 Posts
Unfortunately...

this is more common than one might think with custom builders, reguardless of price point. Some brands are better about telling you up front that it's going to take 3-6 months and makes no appologies about it (Vanilla comes to mind) but at least the fact is out there. Often builders (frame or wheel) for whatever reason get behind and fail to communicate this with their customers. I know it sucks but that's the nature of the beast. Every curtlo I have seen looks real nice and the price is a bargin, I'd hold on till the end of the week, after that I 'd cut bait. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
71 Posts
hang in there...

i had a similar wait with my curtlo mtb, but it was worth it in the end. took 4 months when i was told 2, and doug was pretty spotty on returning calls and emails. i was kinda worried since i had a bad experience before with a small east coast framebuilder who will remain nameless (no longer in business), but it really is because he is a one man show.

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
I opted against going with Curtlo because he didn't answer my emails in a timely fashion. By the time he answered them I'd already been through several calls and emails with Dave Kirk and pulled the trigger. It was a lot more expensive, but I don't think I ever waited more than 24 hours for a return email or call from Dave.

Guess I got lucky that I got the no-response treatment BEFORE I sent any money. Sorry you're having trouble now--I'm sure the bike will be great when you get it.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
again, everybody will have different experiences, so it's not wise to paint with a broad brush. my frame was 2.5 months late, but doug did keep in touch with me during the process. and when all was said and done, he promised to help me out anytime i need parts. he gets pretty steep discounts.

i am currently shopping for a carbon fork and doug recently offered to beat the lowest price i found by $5. and this is four months after i took delivery of the frame, so he's not going to make much $$ off selling me a fork.

let's hear what doug has to say. hopefully the OP will find out.

fredf said:
I don't know who/what Curtlo is but if he has your deposit and isn't returning calls then he doesn't know how to run a business.
That is unacceptable. If, as the others suggested, there are extraneous reasons for the delay in getting the bike done, that is no excuse for not communicating with your customer.
A simple call (or return email) saying 'sorry but we are running 3 weeks late...) is all it often takes to keep people happy.
I wonder about warranty stuff with a person like that.
For me, I wouldn't support that kind of business. What does it mean to be a 'nice guy' when you cannot bother responding to people whose money you've accepted?

·
Bikespace member
4,445 Posts
i must have been lucky then. i have 2 curtlos and they both were ready early! i was told 8 weeks and they were at my home by the 8th week. and on one of those frames he was gone a week for a vacation. he would also get back to me within a couple days tops.

granted this was about 5 years ago. as for knowing how to run a business, maybe your right fredf but he's been doing it for over 20 years, so he must be doing something right. not to say, this situation is ok - which it's not, but just saying...

i found calling the best when trying to reach him.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I'm on the road again this week - so will try to get hold of Doug on the weekend.

I want to get this one done, I have a Cunningham Foco on order and I want to get a titanium Strong.

Thought I'd start with this one - so may as well be patient - Randy isn't going to be able to do me the Cunningham till later in the year anyway.

>> sigh <<

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
toomanybikes said:
Well - today is the three month anniversary of my placing an order and a deposit.

I actually did get an email last week telling me I would have a drawing either yesterday or today.

No drawing :(

I am going to send Doug a request for return of my deposit. Three months and have seen nothing.

Too bad, I wanted that bike.
a drawing? that's a good one. 3 months wait and now promised "a drawing"?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts