Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
So. Calif.
2,800 Posts
I note that the frame-mounted cable stops for rear brake, are both on the left side.

I never cared for the right-to-left side crossover that Spec'y seems to use on all their road bikes.

·
Registered
78 Posts
tom_h said:
I note that the frame-mounted cable stops for rear brake, are both on the left side.

I never cared for the right-to-left side crossover that Spec'y seems to use on all their road bikes.
Yes, no doubt. Why does Specialized insist on making the stock frames backwards? It's so obvious....

·
3,494 Posts
That bike is practically in showroom condition. He needs to ride more!

As for cable routing and rubbing, I noticed a couple of grommets on Boonen's Tarmac. They probably reduce noise from the cable tapping on the frame as the bars are turned, but I wonder if they also roll across the frame preventing rub?

·
3,494 Posts
Three bikes to compare:

1. Cancellera's 58cm Tarmac SL2 Team from Flanders:

2. Cancellera's 58cm Roubaix SL2 from Paris-Roubaix:

3. iamgonnacatchyou's beautiful Saxo Bank Roubaix Pro from RBR:

Compare how the top tube on each bike transitions to the seat-stays and the shape of the rear triangle. To my eye Cancellera's Roubaix SL2 looks more like his Tarmac, than iamgonnacatchyou's Roubaix. It is hard to compare head tube length's visually but I think Cancellera's Roubaix's head tube is much shorter than the equivalent consumer model. While watching Paris Roubaix on Versus there were some Saxo Bank Roubaix's with really short head tubes, probably bikes in size 52cm or 54cm. Other than the Zertz inserts, they looked really similar to Tarmacs with the team geometry.

Specialized likes to push the pro stuff out to the consumer line. They can then say that the pro teams are riding stock frames as well as reducing the number of custom one-offs they have to build. There were a lot of teams and riders on Roubaix at PR this year (QuickStep, Saxo Bank and Rabobank). They can't all be getting the same treatment as Boonen. I wonder whether all those guys would be happy with the extra ~4cm of head-tube on the standard Roubaix compared to their team Tarmacs that they ride in every other race?

My prediction - Specialized will release a consumer Roubaix SL2 Team Frameset and Module for 2010.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.