Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks ago, I noticed a mole on my chest that had doubled in size and changed color. Being a guy, I watched it for a week or so to make sure it was really different and then asked here and some other friends what they thought.....most advice was to get it checked by a Derm.

About a week or so ago, I finally got an appointment with a Derm, and went in thinking; "I really hope that I'm not making a mountain out of a mole hill.".......well 2 minutes after I took my shirt off, and the DR. started looking at it, I had my answer.......the look on his face spoke volumes......."We need to take this off immediately and get it biopsied ASAP!"....followed by a shot of lidocaine and quicky surgery and a sit down......"I'm not going to sugarcoat this, there is a strong possibility that it's a melanoma, if it is, I'm worried that we haven't caught it early enough!".......

I honestly don't remember much he said after that.

For a week, I've been confronted with the strong possibility that, for the first time in my life, I might be really sick.......all the what ifs running through my head......struggling with who to tell, what to tell, when to tell.......swinging from denial to fear, trying to stay in the moment. Definitely not sleeping much.

Well, I finally got the call this afternoon.........

It's a beautiful Day!!! Benign......who knew that one word could be so beautiful, so powerful, so welcome. I called my wife and we just sat on the phone and cried.

One week of uncertainty and I was almost a basket case.......my respect for cancer survivors has increased exponentially.....How the hell do you stay positive while you are fighting it? I was as scared as I've ever been.

It's 8:00 PM in Minneapolis & the sun is shining!:D :D :D :D :D

Len

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Glad to hear that Len. Nothing is as scary as hearing it spoken to you and about you I'm sure. Even if it was your wife it is still not you. You better start wearing a burka while riding.

·
Bored beyond belief.
1,257 Posts
Good god, that's HUGE.

Great news.

Now, for ALL of us; wear sunscreen, conduct self-exams, notice changes....

·
a jumped up pantry boy
1,784 Posts
i know EXACTLY where your comming from. not really sure how to word the following since it mainly deals with balls. one day i was taking a shower and felt a bump on my junk. my heart instantly sank. i spent a week in dread waiting for my doctors appointment and when it finally came all she said was "well, i guess youll need an ultra sound" another week passed before i got on the ultra sound table. in my head i kept trying to make it out to be nothing but always in the back of my mind i was sure it was something. the ultra sound was the longest,most silent 20 minutes of my life. near the end the radiologist asked if i rode bikes noting my shaved legs, which i told her i did. she told me it was simply a calcium deposit due to sitting on the bike seat and i swear ive never been so relived in my life.

i cant imagine what you must have gone through with the doctor telling you it was too late,etc.the time waiting seriously feels like purgatory. you want the answer right away and it really affects every little part of your life waiting. i still remember that dead feeling in my stomach from the wait.

im sure the weight of the world has just been lifted off your shoulders.

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
Len, I can't imagine what you were going through, I am very glad that it was benign. I have a predisposition for skin cancer and so I get checked once a year. I am glad you were watching Len J, we wouldn't want to lose you either.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all......

zeytin said:
Len, I can't imagine what you were going through, I am very glad that it was benign. I have a predisposition for skin cancer and so I get checked once a year. I am glad you were watching Len J, we wouldn't want to lose you either.
Zeytin....glad to be here.

Yarble....sounds similar...glad your's was OK too.

Vol & Scott.....good advice on the checks and the sunscreen.

I'm a lucky guy.

Len

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
Great to hear Len. Cancer sux. Glad it wasn't you. Good advice from others.

·
wut?
14,590 Posts
Glad to hear it was benign.

I'll bet you're going to start using this, even in the winter.

SPF 70, baby!

·
Genitive Declensioner
12,146 Posts
Len J said:
Well, I finally got the call this afternoon.........

It's a beautiful Day!!! Benign......who knew that one word could be so beautiful, so powerful, so welcome. I called my wife and we just sat on the phone and cried.

One week of uncertainty and I was almost a basket case.......my respect for cancer survivors has increased exponentially.....How the hell do you stay positive while you are fighting it? I was as scared as I've ever been.

Len

That is Great news!......I'm waiting for my appt, and trying not to think about it.......

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
svend said:
That is Great news!......I'm waiting for my appt, and trying not to think about it.......
Sending you good vibes.......Glad you're paying attention.

Len

·
Non Non Cyclist
5,777 Posts
Excellent!

That's wonderful news! Make sure you take a proactive approach from now on. Be religious about your sunblock use and get a yearly once-over by the derm to spot anything suspicious as early as possible.

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
That's good news Len, very good news.

I've got to go get scoped. Without getting graphic, been seeing some unnerving signs in the bowl lately. Went to the doc last week and he tells me "well that shouldn't be happening in someone your age" but also that's it's probably a very minor thing but just get scoped to be safe.

I have to make an appointment tomorrow.

·
Gronk SMASH!
1,973 Posts
Great news

Hey Len
I had no idea you were going through that. Thanks goodness you're fine. I guess good deeds and good people are sometimes rewarded. This is your reward, and you deserve it. I got a lot of very bad burns when I was a child, which is supposed to increase your melanoma risk, so my heart races every time my skin looks a bit out of whack. I think we can all breathe a sigh of relief for you.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok......

snapdragen said:
OMG Len - I am so glad this turned out ok. I was about to burst into tears before I finished your post...OK, maybe I still did a little bit. So glad you're OK!

Regular derm checkups from here on out - OK?
That's what my wife said.

Len

·
Coco Puff
2,119 Posts
Len J said:

Len
Len, so glad to hear that you're OK.

Now my funny long sleeve shirts don't seem so wierd eh? ;-)

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks JP......

jptaylorsg said:
Hey Len
I had no idea you were going through that. Thanks goodness you're fine. I guess good deeds and good people are sometimes rewarded. This is your reward, and you deserve it. I got a lot of very bad burns when I was a child, which is supposed to increase your melanoma risk, so my heart races every time my skin looks a bit out of whack. I think we can all breathe a sigh of relief for you.
Used another life I guess.

Len

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Good Luck Ken.....

KenB said:
That's good news Len, very good news.

I've got to go get scoped. Without getting graphic, been seeing some unnerving signs in the bowl lately. Went to the doc last week and he tells me "well that shouldn't be happening in someone your age" but also that's it's probably a very minor thing but just get scoped to be safe.

I have to make an appointment tomorrow.
Don't wait any longer.

Len

·
Misfit Toy
23,426 Posts
OMG Len - I am so glad this turned out ok. I was about to burst into tears before I finished your post...OK, maybe I still did a little bit. So glad you're OK!

Regular derm checkups from here on out - OK?

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
my first warm fuzzy thread!

Len,

You were right - BS can get tossed aside here in the lounge! I'm glad everything was OK. To those waiting for your appointments, chins high. You're in my thoughts.

Friction

1 - 20 of 66 Posts