Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

cane creek

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  weiwentg 
#1 ·
Does anybody have any comments on the cane creek aeros 58? any good ? compare to zipp404 need help looking for aero clinchers at good cost. custom made any better cheaper?

Chris

#2 ·
Looks like both Vuelta and Cane Creek simply add different spoking patterns to what is a 404 rim without the golf ball dimples and charge more for it! I'm on the hunt also for a clincher aero wheel and I've pretty much come to the conclusion that Zipp have the best rims in this field.. you might want to check out the Tour test that was done some time ago.. all the usual suspects were tested against eachother- every deep aero wheel from the ridiculously expensive Lightwheel through Easton tempest, Ambrosio, Reynolds etc to the Zipp 808 which turned up the closest aerodynamically to a disc wheel. The 404 is the same design if a couple ot cm smaller.
If you search for "deep rim" you should find a link to it on this site.

The survey made a thorough wind tunnel test of all the current models subjecting them to different angles of wind. At certain crosswind angles the zipp 808 was actually helped along rather like a sail though the tester couldnt vouch that the dimples were the cause of the better performance.

... all in all though the zipps seem to have the edge at the moment.

#3 ·
Chris G said:
Does anybody have any comments on the cane creek aeros 58? any good ? compare to zipp404 need help looking for aero clinchers at good cost. custom made any better cheaper?

Chris
I had a pair of cane creeks on aerohead rims, the hub version before the present. they were, and still are, quite heavy hubs. they were fast wheels, and were pretty durable despite the low spoke count (24f/28r). the front hub was OK. for the rear hub, they used a cheap LX hub body, and the bearings turned a little gritty. I didn't think the wheels were worth MSRP. now, the rear hub is all cartridge bearings.

as was pointed out, the aeros 58 is the zipp rim - zipp lets a lot of people use their 404 rim (Ritchey, Cane Creek, Velomax, a couple more), but only the previous version. the present dimpled version is available separately from zipp. chances are one of the custom builders on the site (mike garcia, ergott, ligero) could get you the rim and build it to your choice of hubs, and probably a little cheaper than the stock zipp wheel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.