Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Cannodale vs Trek

3K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  pomole 
#1 · (Edited)
Cannodale vs Trek.....Follow up

Ok fellas, 1st off I want to thank you guys for you advice. But I went to the shops today, and I came back empty handed, only to add 2 more bikes to my list, I canceled out the trek 2200, So I'm at 3 still, I saw the canndale R1000 and still like it the most, it's the price that has me thinking twice. I saw a litespeed Cappela at the LBS, a little cheaper, compact frame (which I've never ridden), it has Mavic Krysiums also, full ultegra, And the I saw a Wilier Escape, I really liked the Wilier alot, it has Campy Veloce (10 spd), I will admit the bike is heavier the other 2, but I liked it, plus it comes with look pedals, and the Wilier is also cheaper then the Cdale, I'd like to hear anyone's remarks on the Wilier, if anyone owns one.

Original Post:
Hey all, I'm going to do some bike shopping tomorrow, I pretty muched narrowed it down to 2 bikes (actually 3). I'm comparing the 04 Cannondale R1000, and the 04 Trek 2200. The price are basically the same for both bikes. Does anyone have any expierance on either bike or suggestions. If I can find somewhere in Jersey where I can find the 03 R1000 in my size, there would be know question. I was also looking at the 04 Felt F50, but Felt dealers are scarce in NJ....

thx in advance

See less See more
#2 ·
rubendc19 said:
Hey all, I'm going to do some bike shopping tomorrow, I pretty muched narrowed it down to 2 bikes (actually 3). I'm comparing the 04 Cannondale R1000, and the 04 Trek 2200. The price are basically the same for both bikes. Does anyone have any expierance on either bike or suggestions. If I can find somewhere in Jersey where I can find the 03 R1000 in my size, there would be know question. I was also looking at the 04 Felt F50, but Felt dealers are scarce in NJ....

thx in advance
I like the Cannondale. It's their latest frame - the CAAD7 Optimo. This is the same frame that Simoni won the Giro with...the same frame the Saeco team used last year (except for Simon's six13 frame used in the TdF). I'd take this frame over TREK's ZR9000 aluminum w/OCLV carbon seatstays. Don't get me wrong...ZR9000 is supposed to be damn good. I'd just personally rather have the C'dale frame. Ksyrium Elite's are a great wheelset, too - I'd say nicer than the Bontrager Race wheelset. Both bikes seem to have a decent amount of Ultegra on them. The only item I don't particulaly care for are the Cannondale brake calipers but I'm sure they're alright.

The bottom line is that you should go for whatever bike's geometry fits you best and whatever bike feels best after test riding it.

#5 ·
rubendc19 said:

thx in advance
I have to admit it's my first road bike, so take whatever with a grain of salt.
I have an '03 R1000. Never been on the Trek so can't say anything for it, but I absolutely love the Cannondale. I upgraded everything to Ultegra on mine and swapped out the seat. The 04's were out when I purchased mine (late October), but I grabbed an '03 anyway 'cause it was a few $$ cheaper and I liked the colour schemes better anyway. Look into that if you can, plus I think the '03s came with a few more pieces of Ultegra stock.

The furthest I've ridden is 36 miles, but it was comfortable up to there, other than I don't have a 36 mile butt yet. I don't really notice any harshness or whatever people say about the CAAD frames, but again, it's my only roadbike and I only tested different Cannondales.

#6 ·
I like my 2200!

rubendc19 said:

thx in advance
I did test drive the Canny R800, not the R1000. I didn't like the R800. I think I had a whacky recommendation on fit from the shop. My girlfiriend and I didn't like them one bit after a test drive. I should have tired the R1000. Instead, however, we tried out Treks and liked them much better. Could have been fit, components, but most likely our experience with a nicer, more mature LBS dealer that day. On our test drive, my girlfriend was way out ahead of me on her Trek 1000! That's a good sign, as it was my idea that we get bikes in the first place!

I also had a 2000 Trek 8000 mtn bike and I loved it... especially before it was stolen out of a locked garage from the trailer bike carrier it was locked into!! So Trek had peaked our interestes as she had an older mtn bike from them too.

Anyhow, I bought the 2004, Trek 2200 the last weekend of January, and have managed to squeek in only about 120 miles so far on the bike throughout a very stormy, and wet rainy February here in Northern California. Also had to go away the weekend after I got the bike, which means I was roaring to get back home so I could ride.

This is the first new road bike I've had since I was 14 years old (the other I had actually kept through college.) 20 years (and about 15 more lbs later :), I have to say I'm pretty satisfied with this '04 Trek 2200. For me, it has been great as a primer into the new world of road STI style shifting, interchangeable stems, light-weight carbon components compared to that old middle level Peugeot I had for years. The technology in 20 years is amazing. (The carbon stays, I have no idea if they're better.... but their marketing worked on me! Certainly looks cool.)

Having had four mtn bikes previously, this 2200 is my first upper-ish level, road bike.

A couple weeks ago, I posted a message about wheelset upgrade paths. The consensus was more or less, that their fine. Well, I've kinda calmed down about all the components and have started to ride! And I like it... but not sure I'd know any better with new wheels.

Now having been an avid reader of this site and every other site about road bikes (and magazines) I can find, I'm going to have to put the envy of more exclusive brands behind me for now, and just start to ride, ride, ride. Any why not! This bike is very comfortable. I have no complaints from the default Bontrager mumble seat either. I must have had a good fit.

Being handy with the tools, etc. I have to say too that it seems very tight, clean and easy to service.

The only real thing at this point I could be diappointed on is the paint scheme. The 2200 is very vanilla. It certainly isn't a gorgeous Orbea. That being said, it's a comfortable and "honest" machine. I have a feeling, as I can't seem to stop thinking about riding, that it's going to last me a while as a loyal companion, and possibly even will be my long distance trip choice if ever I got another beast.

When I feel I know what I'm doing and have increased my fitness level, I'd love to build my own bike from hand picked parts, and you guessed it, a sexier color scheme and maybe all carbon frame. Who know?. At least opting for skinnier tires and a couple pounds shed in components, and perhaps a more agressive stem (you could flip the one on the 2200, btw). But don't we all have a list of desire like this for that next bike? -- that's the beauty of this sport (hobby.)

Hypocracy aside, and me being me, I have upgraded a few minor things on my 2200 so far (making it more me and making the LBS roll their eyes when I walk in.)

Brakes:
105 brakes to Ultegra, and added Kool-stop pads. The default Ultegra pads were not giving me enough gripping power and I had a sore right hand after some very long, steep hills. Now, with the Kool-stops I'm able to actually skid the tires and lock them up... not great for control I realize, but at least I have that grip and option now when I clamp down hard. Knowing I can do that makes me feel like I have more control.) My girlfriends new Trek 1000 got my old 105 brakes (swapped out her no-names.)

The 2200 comes with the 105 brakes and they work well. My upgrade to Ultegra with poor pads was my fault, not Treks :)

(BTW, anyone have the lo-down on proper toe-in for brakes? There are too many conflicting stories on what's right. The Kool-stop pads actually have the trailing edge closer to the rim. Most things say toe-in should be from the leading edge? And darned if I can bend the Ultegra brakes myself! Does it make much difference?)

Tape:
got blue, gel tape for the heck of it.. but it is more comfortable, padded, than the default (no big deal, did it for aesthetics -- can't remember the brand right now.) Taping up is fun for me at least.

Pedals: got the middle of the road, Shimano SPD PD-A515, which fit my mountain shoes. And I like that so far. As I've been on long rides with the girlfriend who likes to stop a lot, wearing older but very firm mountain shoes and SPD is so nice for being able to walk around the grocery store in the towns along the way. Having the rubber treads is nice on long trips.

Computer of course, Cateye cordless.

Oh yah, and shamed to say it, but got from Performance (hoepfully my LBS isn't reading this) Quickdraw Carbon Fiber Bottle Cages ($7!) That work smooth and look real cool.

BUT for me right now, I'm resisting real upgrade-itis till I get my sea-legs and ride ride ride. It's a good sign that I want to ride the thing, and that's a good recommendation. Even if the 2200 doesn't have the top of the line components say like the 2300, does, I think it's an excellent starter machine and will be very faithful.

The upgrade for me will probably be a new machine when I deserve it :)

-Hunter

#7 ·
C'dale R1000

I've got about 8K on my present R1000. It's e/w mostly Ultegra w/ a few DA upgrades. I bought it used off the RBR classified section. It came w/ an extra set of Spinergy Spox which really make the ride sweet. I also had a bike fit done at my LBS. I've had to replace one shifter and some cables (switched from Gore back to stock) over the entire time....other than tires. It came in a color called "Industrial Fade" and I've yet to see another in all of those miles.

I just ordered my new Trek 5500 Project One. It wouldn't be a fair fight to compare the two bikes! I'm in the heart of Trek country with a great LBS and very good pricing. So, I guess it's time to ride carbon for awhile.

I think you'd be very happy w/ the R1000. Good luck with your choice.

#9 ·
I went with the R1000

I looked at the same bikes, as well as the Specialized Allez Comp. I test rode all three and decided to go with the Cdale. They were all nice, but I think I had my heart set on the Cdale. I own 2 Cdale Mt. bikes, so that could of skewed my judgement. However, I think the CAAD7 Optimo frame was the best of the 3. It's there top of the line frame. I've only got 2 short rides on the R1000, but I love it. That is not saying much, since all my previous riding was on a mt. bike. I'll report more as the miles rack up and my fitness get's back into shape. The first 16 mile ride I avg. 17 mph. Not bad. I would think I could bump that up a few mph when I get back into shape. I have no idea how the pro's can avg. over 30 mph in a hour long time trial. Can't even fathom that!

Gtown

#10 ·
And this means...

jtferraro said:
I like the Cannondale. It's their latest frame - the CAAD7 Optimo. This is the same frame that Simoni won the Giro with...the same frame the Saeco team used last year (except for Simon's six13 frame used in the TdF). I'd take this frame over TREK's ZR9000 aluminum w/OCLV carbon seatstays. Don't get me wrong...ZR9000 is supposed to be damn good. I'd just personally rather have the C'dale frame. Ksyrium Elite's are a great wheelset, too - I'd say nicer than the Bontrager Race wheelset. Both bikes seem to have a decent amount of Ultegra on them. The only item I don't particulaly care for are the Cannondale brake calipers but I'm sure they're alright.

The bottom line is that you should go for whatever bike's geometry fits you best and whatever bike feels best after test riding it.
Who cares what frame Simoni rode or won with. What's important is fit and comfort. You're telling us that he wouldn't have won with a Trek or any other production frame?

#11 ·
No kiddin'...

BrutusBuckeye said:
Who cares what frame Simoni rode or won with. What's important is fit and comfort. You're telling us that he wouldn't have won with a Trek or any other production frame?
I did say that the bottom line is fit, didn't I? No, I'm not saying he wouldn't have won on a TREK or any other production frame. You seem to be reading into this a bit. I was simply stating that the CAAD7 Optimo frameset is race proven, tried and true.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.