Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, let me give you a short intro for any who don't know me. I'm pretty new to road biking, but I'm hooked (recreational/fitness only). I bought an '08 Cannondale Synapse Carbon in November and I've been riding a lot. My original goal was improving fitness and working up to comfortably completing the STP in July. I started weighing 242 (Nov '08) and I was trying to get to 200 by the STP - I'm already down to 208 and dropping steadily.

After my bike got ridiculously dirty on an organized ride, I thought it might be nice to buy a cheap bike as a "trainer only" ride. A couple weeks later, and passing from thought to thought to thought, I'll skip the details and get right to it...

Instead of just wasting the money on a "trainer only" bike, I want a bike with a stiffer frame to grow into, and I also REALLY want a bike with full SRAM groupo. I really want a Cannondale CAAD9, and comparing price/value on SRAM components, I think the '09 Rival would be the perfect fit. That would leave me with a carbon "comfort frame" with Shimano components (except for the Red crankset) and a super stiff aluminum frame with SRAM components. What can I say? I like variety and choices :wink:

If you were me (in this situation), how would you go about doing it?? My LBS takes GOOD care of me (I bought the Synapse in November, which was a closeout, and I did some upgrades through them initially). I was thinking of getting the Rival groupo from competitivecyclist.com (around $700-$800), and purchasing the CAAD9 7 ($899) from my LBS and having them do the work. Then maybe I could try and sell the Sora/Tiagra components that come with the bike to save a little bit of money.

Several months later, I'd probably order another set of Neuvation M28's, upgrade the stem/handlebar/seatpost, etc.

The other option would be to get the CAAD9 5 which comes with the new 105 components - but the only reason I'd do that is if I could find someone who would be interested in paying the money for that groupo.

Decisions, decisions!!

P.S. I made an Excel spreadsheet that details the differences between the CAAD9 7, 6, and 5, along with images of each of the frame's paint schemes, if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
You can find brand new CHEAPER Sram Rival groupsets on ebay or gvhbikes.com.
I'm not affiliated with them, but it's an idea. Also for the price, compare the geometry of the Neuvation frames to what you are looking at. His deals are ones that once you take into consideration the customer service, warranty and satisfaction guarantees (free part swapping sans shipping until comfortable)... it is as close as a LBS as you can get to an online dealer.

P.S. I did the spreadsheet thing too, and had a more complicated one with prices, etc... (note the components) (and my build came to 16.5 lbs/7500g after build.)

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lalahsghost said:
You can find brand new Sram Rival groupsets on ebay or gvhbikes.com.
I'm not affiliated with them, but it's an idea. Also for the price, compare the geometry of the Neuvation frames to what you are looking at. His deals are ones that once you take into consideration the customer service, warranty and satisfaction guarantees (free part swapping sans shipping until comfortable)... it is as close as a LBS as you can get to an online dealer.
#1 - Thanks for the recommendation on gvhbikes.com - I hadn't heard of them before, so I'll check them out.

#2 - I've had the pleasure of testing out the CAAD9, but can't really do that with a Neuvation bike. Plus, buying from my LBS, then set me up with the right sized stem, go through the Specialized fit, and they offer lifetime tuneups on bikes purchased their for $150 - plus they'll give me discounts on installing the components. I go in there on a weekly basis and talk with the guy that set me up with the first bike. I like to strike a balance between supporting them financially, but being smart and saving money by buying certain things online as well.

Again, thanks for your advice - I'll take any of it I can get :)

-Chris

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Oh, well it sounds like you have a very well established relationship with your LBS, and feel safe in their hands. No reason to change that, since it is always a good thing.

(I'll still suggest neuvation wheels :))

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lalahsghost said:
(I'll still suggest neuvation wheels :))
Definitely :) As I'd use it as a trainer bike at first, I'd just keep the Shimano wheels that come with the bike for the first few months. After that, depending on my weight, I'll be deciding between the M28s and the R28s :D

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Apparently my idea isn't interesting enough :)

OK, maybe I should have broken this thread into multiple parts:

#1 - Cheapest place to get a SRAM Rival grouppo? Anyone??

#2 - Buy the $899.99 CAAD9 7 and sell the Sora/Tiagra components, or buy the $1249.99 CAAD9 5 and sell the black '09 Shimano 105 components??

:D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.