Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
after doing several one-hour-long test riding, i'm leaning toward cannondale caad9 5.
i have several questions before i make my final decision.

i'll be riding in maine, and according to my friend, the roads near my school happen to have a lot of hills. I was wondering if caad9 is an appropriate(may not be the best word) for hills.
i mean... is the bike designed to perform better on flat roads? do you think it's a better idea to get triple crank?
the other bike that i'm highly considering is scott speedster s20. which bike "should" perform better on hills? (scott - 34/50 11/25) (cannon - 39/53 12/25)

one last question.
when i get caad9, i'll upgrade few parts to make it even better.
i heard that the wheels are crappy (simano wh rs 10)
b/c i'm not super rich, i want to upgrade one or two things on the day when i get my bike, and other things when i get my tax return.
what parts should i upgrade from caad9?

thanks a ton! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I'm looking at a caad9 but building it up from the frame set.

don't see why it wouldn't be a good climbing bike...sure is stiff enough. but im in sunny flat Florida. all depends if you like the AL frame.

a triple isn't a bad thing if your going to be constantly in the hills.

I'm going to be using easton's circuits or EA70's....FSA energy bars, FSA stem, thomson post and an ultegra crank. chris king headset, rest of the gear is 105....

Chad

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
CAAD 9 is Extremely good on hills, no frame flex at all. Get the compact or triple if you will be climbing a lot.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have a CAAD 8, live in the mts in California, and have upgraded many parts on the bike. I currently have a Campy Centuer/Chorus mix (carbon cranks), with a set of Neuvation wheels on it, a K-Force carbon wing bar. It's probably 17lbs. It rides hills good, but like someone said earlier it is the rider that makes the biggest difference.

If you are looking at changing wheels, consider the neuvations. Also, think about a compact crank if you ride hills, as it will make a big difference.

·
monkey with flamethrower
821 Posts
No frame will make hills any easier if you aren't very strong. There is no such thing as a good climbing frame, only riders that can climb well.
Choose a setup with lower gearing if you are worried about hills. Frame stiffness and all that marketing hoobajoo really don't matter. And be sure that the frame fits.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
"There is no such thing as a good climbing frame,"

There is however, such a thing as a frame that will give you so much frame flex that you may resort to wallking up the hill. Ride a CAAD 9 and feel the difference.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.