Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at a new bike and am seriously considering buying a Cadd 10 4 Rival. I am a big guy and really have to work on the hills. I have been riding a Trek 1.2 with a 52/39/30 crank and a 12/27 9 speed cassette. Most climbs I don't need the triple but when I do need it, I really need it !! One of the things that I like about Sram (besides the short throw shifters) is that they make a WiFLI climbing package with a 50/34 compact crank and 12/30 10 speed casstte. I think this will work well for me and simplify those really big climbs by only having to deal with 2 chain rings. I doesn't take much to gum up that triple and make it hard to shift into the third ring under heavy pedaling pressure. That is the last thing you need when struggling up a hill. Does anyone know if the rear derailleur for the Caad 10 4 Rival will work with the 30 tooth cassette ? It would be nice to not have to change the derailleur out right from the get go.
Thanks

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
To my knowledge the largest cog the stock rear derailleur will work with is a 26 tooth, though you might be able to squeeze out a 28 tooth ... however, to jump to the 30 you will need to change derailleurs to the WiFli (i.e. mid length cage).

Check with your dealer as they may do it with a Rival rear derailleur for no charge if you buy the bike ... and may even change cassettes for you. I know I've had them change out cranks from 172.5 to 170 at no additional charge as long as I used the same level of crank.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
If you have been riding with that 30 27 triple combo, then getting to an 11-32 with Rival mid cage will be the best thing to simulate what you had before.

I run an 11-32 rear with 34 ring up front on my CAAD10. It does require the mid cage rival or x.7 x.9 x.0 rear derailleur.

Also, who has a 12-30 cassette out? Last time I checked, SRAM and Shimano did not. They go 28 and jump to 32.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You are correct ziscwig. My memory failed me. It is an 11-32 that i was talking about. How are you nlike the setup ? I can get the setup exactly as I like in the Synapse Carbon. But, I am not a fan of carbon bikes. The Cadd 10 just seems like the bike for me. I really the like way it looks and everybody I know that has one is really in love with it. I am looking at the one they call the "Yellow Jacket". If it rides as well as it looks, I will be quite pleased.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Kind of figured I might need a new chain as well. I saw somewhere on line the entire kit including chain, deraileur and cassette for under $200.00. Even if the dealer didn't want to swap it out, I could do it myself for a reasonable price. I will be swapping the rear wheel out for sure. I am sure the stock wheel with 24 spokes will have a short life span with a Clyde like me aboard. Thansk for your feedback

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
I believe Shimano has a 12x30 10 speed cassette ... I know my winter bike (Jamis Nova Race) came with one (Tiagra level).
You are correct, they do. It's kind of a boat anchor at 330 grams or so. I have not look in 18 months or so as my XT 11-32 has been serving me well.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
You are correct ziscwig. My memory failed me. It is an 11-32 that i was talking about. How are you nlike the setup ? I can get the setup exactly as I like in the Synapse Carbon. But, I am not a fan of carbon bikes. The Cadd 10 just seems like the bike for me. I really the like way it looks and everybody I know that has one is really in love with it. I am looking at the one they call the "Yellow Jacket". If it rides as well as it looks, I will be quite pleased.
I like my 11-32 with my compact crankset. Or, I should say my knees like it really. Many long climbs around here...........after 4 miles at 7% grades, my knees were not to happy with the 28 in the back.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.