Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i searched both here and fgg and saw nothing on this bike, but i love the marketing

http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/06/cusa/cats/road_er_capo.html

1.We identified the root of fixed gear and messenger culture. NYC yo!
2.We worked with shops who are face to face with these riders everyday
3.We developed our rider performance criteria: Style, Simplicity and Durability Handling

they even copied a page out of that retarded puma fixedgear book, how cute

hmm aluminum (obviously)
IS headset
carbon fork
and the cheapest BB money can buy
wow, sounds like itll last forever

im sure its a nice bike and all and if it comes in in the pista range im sure it will do well
but wtf

·
Registered
92 Posts
I wonder what it costs.

I have two Cannondale road bikes and love both of them. But what do I really love about my rattle-can tange bianchi fixte? Is it that it's pretty durn fun and surprisingly comfortable? Yes, I love those things. But I also really love the fact that one of my dogs got excited yesterday and knocked it over, and I didn't freak out at all. Last week I lashed it to the life-lines of a buddy's sailboat so that I wouldn't have to worry about a ride when we got to our destination. As a matter of fact, earlier today I was looking at it and thought 'hm, I should get the Krylon outta the shed and hit it in a few spots'. That easy going attitude/peace of mind is almost priceless.

Then again, I doubt it would take a whole lot of convincing to hang one of these next to the the other two 'dales, providing the price was right.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Almost forgot the 'cool/with-it/hip' name and campaign. I think it's pretty stupid. They must have hired the marketing team away from mountain dew.

XTREME!

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I agree with you. C'Dale is just taking an old frame, throwing some cheap parts on it, and filling a void in their product line. Although I'm a happy C'Dale owner, this bike does not impress me. They might sell if the price is as rock bottom as the part spec. I wouldn't consider it if more than 5 bills. I suspect they'll be around $600.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Ss

nick irons said:

1.We identified the root of fixed gear and messenger culture. NYC yo!
2.We worked with shops who are face to face with these riders everyday
3.We developed our rider performance criteria: Style, Simplicity and Durability Handling

f
And then they built a single speed not a fixed gear bike! 17t shimano freewheel.

TT

·
Banned
7,891 Posts
nick irons said:
i searched both here and fgg and saw nothing on this bike, but i love the marketing

1.We identified the root of fixed gear and messenger culture. NYC yo! YO??. THE ROOT OF FIXED GEAR: THE LOVE FOR OLD WAYS CYCLING. MESSENGER "CULTURE"?
2.We worked with shops who are face to face with these riders everyday. WHICH SHOPS?
3.We developed our rider performance criteria: Style WHO GIVES A FVCK ABOUT STYLE?, Simplicity OK and Durability COMING FROM CANNONDALE? Handling MAYBE.

they even copied a page out of that retarded puma fixedgear book, how cute

hmm aluminum (obviously)
IS headset LOL
carbon fork LOL
and the cheapest BB money can buy LOL
wow, sounds like itll last forever LOL

·
duh...
9,749 Posts
CrAPO

even the matte black and raw silver are getting overdone
maybe they had some old track frames lying around in the warehouse
"variable" STA?! do you get whatever comes off the line? is there a pivot there? WTF?!

·
Registered
118 Posts
What is "durability handling?" The bike also has "position and fit." Not quite sure what that is either. I guess that is what happens when you get a bunch of people used to writing soda ads to create your bike marketing.

And I can't believe they really wrote "NYC yo!"

Depending on price, I don't see anything wrong with the bike. It just has some off-putting marketing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
FatTireFred said:
CrAPO
"variable" STA?! do you get whatever comes off the line? is there a pivot there? WTF?!
FatTireFred,

Due to an error in the HTML code, the "Geometry" link takes you to the geometry chart for the Six13 Slice. That's a TT/Tri frame which has, as explained in the footnote, a reversible seatpost.

DoubleTap,

The bike has a flip-flop SS/fixed rear hub.

By the way, according to my LBS (in Maryland), the bike will be 800 bucks. On the one hand, that's a lot for crappy components. On the other, it's pretty low for an Optimo frame. So, I don't think it's ridiculously high. It's not the bargain of the century either. The frame is essentially the same as their old track frame, but it is made out of their Optimo tubing rather than 6061. Apparently, the new frame will have the same geometry as the old frame.

I agree the marketing jargon is silly and annoying.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I have no objection to fixies going mainstream -- it's great to see so many people getting excited about this fun form of riding -- but the marketing is pretty revolting, with all the pseudo "street-cred" BS. First Giant, now Cannondale. I predict we'll soon be seeing a major fixie backlash now that posengers have emerged as a viable target demographic!

·
duh...
9,749 Posts
skeeler said:
FatTireFred,

Due to an error in the HTML code, the "Geometry" link takes you to the geometry chart for the Six13 Slice. That's a TT/Tri frame which has, as explained in the footnote, a reversible seatpost.

DoubleTap,

The bike has a flip-flop SS/fixed rear hub.

By the way, according to my LBS (in Maryland), the bike will be 800 bucks. On the one hand, that's a lot for crappy components. On the other, it's pretty low for an Optimo frame. So, I don't think it's ridiculously high. It's not the bargain of the century either. The frame is essentially the same as their old track frame, but it is made out of their Optimo tubing rather than 6061. Apparently, the new frame will have the same geometry as the old frame.

I agree the marketing jargon is silly and annoying.

If the geo is the same, then you gotta think they had some leftover unsold tracks frames lying around. Surely nobody designed 74-75+ STA alu FG road ride from scratch???

·
Banned
7,891 Posts
seems all the trouble comes from the fact that canondale has not figured yet the roots of fixed gear riding: it's in the sport of cycling. in the velodromes. in the early training seasons. not the "streets" of new york..yo(?).
btw, capo has a really bad connotation: it was used in concentration camps and it's mob language. why use that [email protected] in a bicycle????
and i'm sick of this street culture [email protected] culture lies in books, music, museums, painting. in efforts to expand the written, plastic and dramatic languages. not in bums taking drugs!

·
Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
As of last year, you could still purchase a track frame through Cannondale's aftermarket program (through a dealer).

From what I have been told about how Cannondale fulfills replacement and aftermarket orders, it is unlikely that they have a ton of old frames laying around to base a whole new product launch around. Designe drawings and frame-building fixtures, perhaps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Capo or Jamis "Sputnik"?

Wrote this on 7-9-06

Some other forum offered a link to this forum, siting some snobbery, in regards to the new Cannondale "Capo". Seems like a friendly and informative site. I was simply surfing to find reviews etc. I own a very expensive italian frame road bike, and am somewhat familiar with quality parts. Now expensive only means what one can afford, or what one can beg, borrow or steal. My race bike is far beyond my abilities as any kind of road rider, but like any other meatball, one can buy well over their heads, and still enjoy the beauty of the bike. So in the country I can have fun. But living in NYC, this bike stays at home, I can't afford to lock every item on the bike. And the junk bike I have for running around is painful in many ways.

Since NOT one company has really made a true city bike, at least my idea of one, and I'm not talking about messengers etc. It's very tough to buy a bike for what one might consider a fairly decent "urban" market. I want a very simple bike, no frills and light, I live a few floors up in an apartment building. I live in NYC, which like many cities is fairly flat in most places, when not flat, I am still able to get off the saddle and survive. Since the old 3 speed cassettes are history, I turned to researching track bikes. NO I don't want to race on a track, and I don't want or need a fixed wheel. I'd be dead in two blocks. So it seems all that is left are these so called "track" bikes with the free spinning hub and hand brakes.

I read what I could find online, including reviews etc. Of course just like here, many fall in love with brands and what they paid their good money for, it's called "human nature". The intelligent posts you read are by those that have owned many bikes and can discuss the pluses and minuses of each. Since as I mentioned, in my opinion, no bike company has made a perfect city bike yet, not sure why?

Since I'm NOT rich and realize in NYC my bike could be stolen no matter how well I lock or protect it, the price of the bike brings us into a fairly small area of what is available. Since I am a VERY good online shopper, and google nut, it's easy to see that you are looking at $500.00 to under $900.00. The high number is for considering some part swapping, and bike stores love that.

So here is what my research led to in choices. (Prices are both shop based, meaning marked up a bit or what I have seen many shops online charge. Of course many bikes are not shippable. The Raleigh as well as a bunch of other brands must have some deal with the shops as most, if not all say "not shippable", odd?

Raleigh "Rush Hour" Steel frame - USA
Specialized Langster - Aluminum frame
Bianchi Pista - Steel frame * not made in france
Gary Fisher Triton - Steel Frame

The above bikes are in the $500-600 range. They all seemed nice and offered a "free spin hub", a must for my use.

Jamis "Sputnik"
Cannondale "Capo"

One bike shop had a "Jamis -Sputnik". The flat black paint job caught my eye, as well as how light it was. Cost is $800.00, but if I was going as high as $600.00 for the Rush Hour by Raleigh, the extra $200.00 was not a real put off. I would have to pay extra to put a brake on it, though it has the hole for one. The last of the five bike shops I visited in NYC the same day had the new Cannondale "Capo". Again a flat black paint job, with barely viewable logos or lettering. Personally I liked that, black is good in NYC, very dirty city. The bike was the lightest of all the others I listed above, mostly I assume because of the aluminum frame and the salesperson said it is the lightest they have made to date. Now I never liked the oversized Cannondale downtubes, but for some reason, maybe the black paint this one did not bother me as much. I took this for a test ride, with it's 48t x 17t, frame smaller then I would need. I have read and heard that steel is better for city streets and more forgiving then aluminum. And while that may be true, the roads and potholes can be so bad here, I don't really think I would be able to feel the difference. Same as they say the carbon fiber fork is going to make things smoother, some of the old NYC streets still have cobblestones. The Jamis Sputnik is a steel frame and perhaps I should test ride that as well.

For $800.00 the "Capo" does seem to have some cheapo parts on it, but it has nice wide handlebars, two breaks front/rear, kevlar tires, and seems like it's simply ready to ride with no customizing to do for my purposes. I just want a nice bike to jump on here in the city to go to a store etc. While it does not seem worth the extra $200.00 compared to the other bikes I listed above, it is really light, much lighter then the steel frame bikes except the Jamis. Some of the extra cost might indeed just be the frame it what it costs them to produce. It looks like I might buy this model and do no modifying to it, just jump on it and enjoy it for my limited needs, and bite the bullet on the higher price, which is not too out of line. Since I have never heard of Jamis bikes and can't find all that much to read about them, at least the Cannondale is a company that has been around and I assume getting parts for in the future would be easy enough.

*Also remember your favorite expensive frame or bike at lower prices most likely is not made in the same country as the nice expensive one, the companies have to compete and make money. My Italian frame Tomasini is made in Italy and it cost me dearly.

*** NOTE: Bear in mind this message is built on the idea of buying a city bike and NOT having to replace parts or upgrade. Every bike in this price range can of course be improved by whatever the buyer thinks are the main weaknesses of the parts or his riding style. Lets leave advertising and fancy web sites and advertising copy out of the discussion. If a fancy photo or fancy wording bothers you, then disregard the main point, a bike is a bike, part by part.

Any opinions are welcome. If you have not see the "Capo" in person or have ridden it, then it's harder, and I know it just came out. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
RK: Here's a brief brakdown of what I consider to be the salient points of your post:

RoadKiller said:
I want a very simple bike, no frills and light
I don't want or need a fixed wheel
I just want a nice bike to jump on here in the city to go to a store etc.
And here's what you say about the Capo:

RoadKiller said:
[it] was the lightest of all the others
has nice wide handlebars, two breaks front/rear, kevlar tires, and seems like it's simply ready to ride with no customizing to do for my purposes.
Seems like you found your bike!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.