Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a new bike and have a question regarding the expander assembly headset thingy.

According to Cannondale, the expander assembly must reach the bottom stem bolt. However, I just got this frame and I don't want to cut the steerer tube until I've gotten a few rides in and dialed in the handlebar height. Is it ok to ride it around (not too hard) if the expander assembly is only reaching the top stem bolt? I understand the reason the expander must reach the bottom stem bolt is so that it provides some support to the steerer tube when tightening the stem.

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
No.

Don't be stupid and crush your steerer tube. Do you feel like buying a new fork for several hundred dollars?

If you insist on riding around with spacers above your stem, you have to also insist on purchasing and using a proper compression plug that's long and sturdy enough to reach the bottom stem bolt.

That is how professional shops do it.

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
I just picked up a new bike and have a question regarding the expander assembly headset thingy.

According to Cannondale, the expander assembly must reach the bottom stem bolt. However, I just got this frame and I don't want to cut the steerer tube until I've gotten a few rides in and dialed in the handlebar height. Is it ok to ride it around (not too hard) if the expander assembly is only reaching the top stem bolt? I understand the reason the expander must reach the bottom stem bolt is so that it provides some support to the steerer tube when tightening the stem.
Maybe I'm just thick but the expander I have can be loosened and moved up or down the steerer tube. So even if I had a bunch of tube above my stem, I could move the expander down the tube so that it was right where the stem clamps the tube. Does yours not work like that?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts