Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know why there are so many Cannondale fire carbon seat posts for sale on ebay. Are they so bad that everyone removes them from their Cannondales and replaces with upgrades? Would they be good for a old fixed gear project? thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
727 Posts
i wouldn't think its a bad post. it's only spec'd on cannondale's more expensive bikes- the alloy bikes are spec'd with a "carbon-wrap" post that likely is garbage. Usually, when people buy more expensive road bikes, they know what they want and things like tires, saddles, posts, stems and bars are quickly replaced with preferences. You only have 3 points of contact, and the post is part of the most noticeable one, so it makes sense to swap it out if it not your preference. I would say go for it for your fixie though if you can get a nice deal. i've definitely not heard anything bad about it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

Thanks much!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
i actually bought a use carbon alien to replace my cannondale carbon but it was such a pain in the a$$ I just stuck the cannondale fire carbon back on. It is a very nice seat post and the seat clamp mechanism is great
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
150 Posts
bikerbrian said:
i actually bought a use carbon alien to replace my cannondale carbon but it was such a pain in the a$$ I just stuck the cannondale fire carbon back on. It is a very nice seat post and the seat clamp mechanism is great
Ugh. I was interested in the USE carbon since it's so light, but am rethinking it since you say it's tough to set up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,939 Posts
newridr said:
Ugh. I was interested in the USE carbon since it's so light, but am rethinking it since you say it's tough to set up.
Tha alien clamp is not for the impatient. Once you get it set up it is a dream. Getting to that point can be a true test. I own a couple, I've gotten used to it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
117 Posts
agreed

biknben said:
Tha alien clamp is not for the impatient. Once you get it set up it is a dream. Getting to that point can be a true test. I own a couple, I've gotten used to it.
The alien clamp is very difficult to set up and adjust, get it when you are sure of your riding position. I would not want to ride around with it and make adjustments on the road. Once it is set, you have a great weight weenie part.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top