Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post on this site. I am trying to decide between the Cannondale R5000 and R5000 Compact Drive. Thoughts? I typically ride 25-50 miles during the week and longer on the weekends. I live in New England, so a fair amount of hills. The local bike store explained the compact/triple choice, but I am still confused with what to choose. Thanks.

G

·
If possible, ride both, as that is the best way to see what you like.

Many people on this list frown on triples - they weigh more (True) but I always wonder how much the people who post weigh when they deride triples. (Yep, its true I have a triple. It is also true I rarely use anything except the big cog, and have only shifted to the smallest one to make sure it works). Its what came with the bike (R700). I live in West Texas, in the Permian Basin, which is largely flat, but take my bike to New Mexico and Colorado, where its a bit hillier.

Get the bike you like the best. Either one would work well. I suspect they won't feel any different - the triple derailur is a bit more finicky to adjust.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Hey, I also live in West Texas - Lubbock, which is super flat.

I just bought my wife a triple. I figure that she's not a strong rider yet and will likely end up using the small gear when we drive out to the canyons.

Also, I don't suspect we'll live here forever, so if we end up some place more mountainous, she'll get more use out of the triple.

As to the Cannondale, I didn't get the compact because of how flat it is here. If I moved some place where elevation changed more than 3 feet every 10 miles, then I might consider a compact.

·
Folsom City Blues...
7,338 Posts
I ride in the Folsom Sacramento and San Francisco California area. I encounter hills and very steep hills in SF! All my life I've only used doubles, that's all I ever needed. I was born and raised in the hills of SF. There were no triples back in the day or compacts. :cool:

I just recently purchased my first C'dale R1000 and went with the compact. I find it's the best of both worlds. Two wheels like a double, with the range of a triple. I see your looking to purchase the R 5000, that's on beautiful road bike. The compact that goes with the R 5000 is a Dura Ace compact, it's a very nice looking crank. :D

I almost went with the R 5000 myself, but in the end I went with the R 1000. Mainly becuase I wanted to have more money for all the goodies that one must purchase after the bike. I'm very happy with the compact and feel I'm not missing anything not having a double or triple... :p

Peace :aureola:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.