Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what would be a reasonable price for a 2003/2004 Cannondale R600?

I haven't seen it yet, but the guy says he bought it to get back into cycling in 2004 and it's just been sitting in the garage ever since (had a kid, etc.). He says he paid $1500 for it, and wants $995 firm. Right. For $4 more I found a new 2008 Synapse Sport 5. Assuming it's the right size/fit, what should I offer him as a more reasonable price for the bike?

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
First, go to the cannondale website and look in the bike archives for the R600 in 03 or 04 and see which it is (you can tell by the frame color - but be sure to distinguish between a triple and a double). If it were me, I'd want to know what year it really is, and what components it came with (including saddle, bars and WHEELS) so you know if he replaced anything and if those replacements are better or worse than original. It's fairly common to replace wheels with cheaper ones when selling a used bike if the original ones were good/expensive ones.

But that's not the important thing. The important thing is what it's actually worth. There's no question that $995 is way too much, and unless he encounters an ignorant buyer, he'll never get it. Look on ebay for the same bike or similarly equipped bikes from major manufacturers that are 5-6 model years old. Similarly equipped Treks and Specialized of similar model years would be similar quality and should give an idea of what the market is. Again, don't forget to keep the wheels in this equation because of what I said above.

Just as a point of reference, about this time two years ago, I bought an 03 R2000 (CAAD 7), which was 4 model years old at the time, a couple of years newer - relatively speaking - than the one you're looking at. Plus, it is a couple steps above yours in terms of componentry. My bike was in excellent, not quite like new, condition, <1,000 miles and only very minor wear and tear. Considering the package (seller had downgraded the wheels, but they were decent and brand new), I think I might have over paid $100 or so at $900. But, I was glad to do it, because it was exactly what I was looking for, when I needed it and I have no second thoughts.

So my point is, $995 is several hundred too much. Without looking at current sales on ebay, if it's really like new, my guess is that something like $500-600 might be a fair price, maybe a little high, but might be worth it just to get riding. But I would be very, very surprised if $995 was anywhere close to the market.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts