Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Cannondale recall of 2009 bikes.

1K views 21 replies 17 participants last post by  rward325 
#1 ·
http://www.bicycleretailer.com/news/newsDetail/2482.html

"WASHINGTON, D.C. (BRAIN)—The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, in cooperation with Cannondale, has issued a voluntary recall of roughly 1,300 road bicycles from the 2009 model year.

The bicycles fail to meet the federal safety standard for bicycles. Spoke protector discs, required on bicycles to prevent the bicycle chain from interfering or suddenly stopping the wheel, are missing from these bicycles, which poses a fall hazard to the rider.

The following Cannondale bicycles are included in the recall. "Six" is printed on the bicycle's toptube and "Cannondale" is printed on the downtube. The models include: Six 5 (9RCT5D); Six 5 Compact (9RCT5C); Six 6 (9RCT6D); Six 6 Triple (9RCT6T); Six Carbon 5 (9RSX5D); Six Carbon 5 Compact (9RSX5C); and Six Carbon 6 Compact (9RSX6C).

These bikes were sold at authorized Cannondale dealers nationwide from October 2008 through February 2009 for between $1,500 and $2,100. They were manufactured in Taiwan.

Consumers should stop using the recalled bicycles immediately and contact any authorized Cannondale bicycle dealer for a free repair.

Consumer Contact: For additional information, contact Cannondale at (800) 245-3872 between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. (EST) Monday through Friday or visit Cannondale's Web site at www.cannondale.com."

I added the emphasis..........I had to laugh out loud at this "protection"

Len

See less See more
#2 ·
Post of the day and joke of the day all rolled into one neat bundle.

Well done, Len!

#3 ·
JustTooBig said:
Post of the day and joke of the day all rolled into one neat bundle.

Well done, Len!
Truth is stranger than fiction.

len

#8 ·
Coolhand said:
Yes. Yes I do. :D
Why don't you drop by the house before 10 tonight.

Bring a bike.

You can come along on our double century, that should give you enough time to tell me all about the bad things related to having a 1 ounce piece of plastic that will keep the derailleur and chain out of the spokes.

BTW the Trek is the only bike we own that has a spoke guard. Come to think of it, it is our only bike that we own that came as a complete bike.......

G
#10 ·
I guess I will have to give up riding then.

Since I typically build my own wheels I don't have any of these "pie plate" thingies.

Don't even know where I'd get 'em.

I better just sell my bikes and take up bowling.

#14 ·
WTF...why was this moved?

This is a thread about the absurdity of a recall for not having the spoke protector...it's not about a Frame of Bike.

Nods head in wonder....

Len

#21 ·
At least the one in the photo is not too obnoxious, being clear and relatively small. The one that came on my bike was black and extended a good 2-3 inches past the largest cog. Talk about dorky. As soon as I got the bike home from the shop that thing came off, along with all of the reflectors. I should also file down the "lawyer tabs" on the front dropouts, but that's a little more work.

#22 ·
We live in a society of "Design by Lawyer". None of the 3 bikes I now own have Dork disk on them. I guess I better stop riding now. Sheeesh....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.