Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to install a Cannondale SISL2 crankset onto a frame with a threaded BSA bottom bracket using a Wheels Manufacturing threaded to 30mm angular contact bb? The SISL2 spindle is 109mm. Whls Mfg state the spindle needs to be at least 104mm but it appears the Cannondale crank arms slide on pretty far leaving very little room.

·
is riding in MOPP4
695 Posts
I don't think an SISL2 crank will work on a non-bb30/pf30 frame. Width of the spindle will be an issue. Even if you got it to fit on a BSA frame, you'd have serious chain line issues. If you're looking to reduce weight at the crank, it's probably best to go with a Rotor 3D BSA 30 bottom bracket as stated by Notvintage with a Rotor 3D+ crank. Alternatively, you could install a Rotor 3D24 crank and use a Shimano Hollowtech II bottom bracket.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
It's really pretty simple except that the manufacturers have not helped by adding confusion.

There are now 2 "BB30" road spindles - the original, and as of a few years ago the new "long spindle" version. FSA's BB386Evo is an example of the latter, which is a 30 mm spindle that works with an external bearing on a conventional 68 mm wide frame. Like Rotor and others.

As the Wheels description makes clear, anything longer than 104 mm is considered a long spindle, and their outboard bearings are made to work with it. OP is overthinking the issue. It will work.

·
is riding in MOPP4
695 Posts
I stand corrected. As Bikerjulio stated, it should work. Would love to hear how it turns out.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone for the suggestions/feedback. I'll let you know if I follow through with this setup and give you an update.

·
Registered
47 Posts
It's really pretty simple except that the manufacturers have not helped by adding confusion.

There are now 2 "BB30" road spindles - the original, and as of a few years ago the new "long spindle" version. FSA's BB386Evo is an example of the latter, which is a 30 mm spindle that works with an external bearing on a conventional 68 mm wide frame. Like Rotor and others.

As the Wheels description makes clear, anything longer than 104 mm is considered a long spindle, and their outboard bearings are made to work with it. OP is overthinking the issue. It will work.
I am afraid it is not as simple as that.

First of all in respect of 30-mm-spindles there isn't just the original "as norrow as possible" and the "as wide as needed to fit a BB386evo (or BSA with outboard bearing cups) BB shell". There is many variants inbetween, and Cannondales SiSL2 is just one of these.

Secondly Whhels Mfg do not seem to specify how to measure the 104 mm (which is poor). Is it the free spindle length with both crank arms fully tightened? Or the full "visible" spindle length of a two-piece-crank set (i.e. spindle factory assembled with one crank arm)? If so, you should be aware that 109 mm is the full spindle length (or width) of the SiSL2 road spindle - including both splined ends.

I do own a MY2014 SuperSix Evo frame with a PF30 BB shell (not BB30a) and a SiSL2. There is no spacer on the drive side and a spacer approx. 8 mm wide on the non drive side. The PF30 shell is 68 mm wide.

A road BSA shell is 68 mm wide, too. So you have 8 mm for the outboard bearing on the NDS - tight, but maybe possible. On the drive side, however, there is no space at all for any outboard bearing cup.

·
coaster
1,051 Posts
^I'm agreeing with the last poster. Cranks made specifically for BB30/PF30 frames (SISL, S-Works, Sram BB30) don't have a wide enough spindle for BSA frames with external 30mm BBs. I remember some people trying to get S-Works to fit because they're much cheaper than the nearly identical Lightnings that have a longer axle. The search was for the narrowest BSA30 BB (I think Rotor) and I don't remember if it really worked.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts