Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a friend who has a Cannondale Six 13. He said its the year the model was last hand made in the U.S which is either 2004 or 2005. It's made of fused carbon fibre and aluminum. It has Mavic Carbon Fibre wheels and Campagnolo Record full components. upgrades are:
1. Zipp 303 carbon fiber clincher wheel set
2. Cannondale SRM power meter crank set. (power meter head unit/ computer not included. available on ebay)
3. Deda Elementi Black stick seat post
4. red Fizik saddle
5. Speedplay Zero titanium pedals.
He is the original owner and stated the bike has close to 700miles on it.

Im not a bike guy(unless you count bmxing) Im not that familiar with these bikes but it sure is nice looking and light! i never picked up such a light weight bike before. It couldn't have weighed more than 12lbs
He Didnt want to tell me the exact price he paid but said he paid more than $6k on everything

Anyways, hes in a financial situation and wants to sell me the bike. I just wanted to know what the resale value was and what I should pay for it if I did buy it?
Anything informative would greatly help. Dont want to end up being stuck with something I paid to much for.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
These are great bikes, the main reason they stopped selling them was because of a adhesive problem. The adhesive that holds the carbon tubes in the aluminum ends, burns through the finish on some of the bikes. Look for little trails of chemical on the aluminum parts of the bike. Those little trails really diminish the value greatly, even though there is no dangerous damage. The real value in this deal may be the zipp carbon fiber rims. If they are in good shape, then look to spend more money. I also find it difficult to believe that the bike has 700 miles on it. I put down 700 miles a month sometimes. How could he have spent so much and ridden so little. If this is true, the bike has to look completely new. No scratches on any tubes, wheels absolutely perfect. I wouldn't spend over 800 bucks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
These are great bikes, the main reason they stopped selling them was because of a adhesive problem. The adhesive that holds the carbon tubes in the aluminum ends, burns through the finish on some of the bikes. Look for little trails of chemical on the aluminum parts of the bike. Those little trails really diminish the value greatly, even though there is no dangerous damage. The real value in this deal may be the zipp carbon fiber rims. If they are in good shape, then look to spend more money. I also find it difficult to believe that the bike has 700 miles on it. I put down 700 miles a month sometimes. How could he have spent so much and ridden so little. If this is true, the bike has to look completely new. No scratches on any tubes, wheels absolutely perfect. I wouldn't spend over 800 bucks.
You are 100% correct, The bike looks like it has never been sat on. Everything is in great shape, no scratches, scuffs, dents or chips. No fading or any signs of wear. The wheels look flawless. Its because he has two other bikes that he actually rides which he also is selling (one of them being some hand made italian carbon bike, not sure of the model, he was asking way to much so didnt bother talking about it) but this one is the one that stood out to me due to the fact it looked brand new.
I really do appreciate the info and your input about this, Thanks again for your input.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Frame, wheels, parts are 8-9 years old. Although top of the line then, the same components have transitioned into something more efficient, lighter or just plain better.

Old bikes appeal is more emotional than anything else. The price therefore is what an individual appraised it to be.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Chemical bonding issues with a Cannondale Six13??

Hi, I'm also looking at one of these bikes. Was the chemical issues you spoke of dealing with the union of the carbon with the aluminum? Any stress points to look for damage? I'm looking for this to be a bulletproof commuter bike all year long here in CO?? Thanks, Rizzo!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.