Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a very nice 2005 Six13 frameset, and of course I'm finding my knowledge of vintage bicycle building completely useless in attempting to find the correct bottom bracket for this. I'm aware of the pricey Cannondale Hollowtech components, but I'd rather avoid those right now.

It is obvious that this frame was intended for a BB30 from info I've gathered, and as I noticed there is no threading inside, it is specifically a press-fit. So I should say PF30 I suppose, and I am trying to find a bottom bracket that will be compatible with an FSA Omega crankset (clearly marked for BB30, and 30mm dia. spindle as measured).

I'm receiving a bit of conflicting info in forums and other online sources and hoped someone could give me some definitive answers.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
Cannondale designed and promoted BB30 not PF30. They are different. Your frame is BB30.

There's endless threads on BB30 issues and best installation practice. You either need to buy the bearings, loctite, and installation tools, or take it to someone with experience.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, after a little more investigation, I see my incorrect terminology and the difference between the two. The BB30 is a "press fit", but absolutely not a PF-style assembly.

Thanks for clarifying.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,567 Posts
BB30 = 42mm hole in frame, usually aluminum. Grooves for snap rings.

PF30 = 46mm hole in frame, no grooves.

BB30 is nothing more than bearings pressed into the frame. PF30 is BB30 bearings in plastic cups that are then pressed into the frame.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.