Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, as you can tell fromt he title thats the bike i'm looking at getting. I'm 16 and i've been saving for awhile. I race and ride alot. Last night i rode a 32 mile group ride, then went home and rode 18 more just to get a 50 mile ride in. I normally average about 20-25mph depending on the distance. I'm a powerful rider if nothing else and i can really put out an ass load of torque and bend the BB on alot of bikes. I normally race crits or flat RR. Any advice? One of my friends just got this bike and its freakin sweet. Any advice or comprable bikes in this price range? I will recieve lots of discounts from my team but its still an assload of money. Thanks:idea:

·
Administrator
13,147 Posts
Mr_Snips2 said:
Hey guys, as you can tell fromt he title thats the bike i'm looking at getting. I'm 16 and i've been saving for awhile. I race and ride alot. Last night i rode a 32 mile group ride, then went home and rode 18 more just to get a 50 mile ride in. I normally average about 20-25mph depending on the distance. I'm a powerful rider if nothing else and i can really put out an ass load of torque and bend the BB on alot of bikes. I normally race crits or flat RR. Any advice? One of my friends just got this bike and its freakin sweet. Any advice or comprable bikes in this price range? I will recieve lots of discounts from my team but its still an assload of money. Thanks:idea:
Go with a CAAD7 or 8 based all aluminim frame instead (with 105 or Ultegra). They are cheaper, stiffer and much better race bikes. IMHO the Six13's were a failure, and Cannondale has replaced them as the top race bike this year with a new frameset. Healthnet is riding them now.

:)

·
Registered
449 Posts
At 16 ...

Are you still growing? I think it's great that you are racing at 16, but unless you have a lot of $$$ to throw around you might not want to spend it on a high-end frame, then outgrow it in a season or less. If that is the case, I'd suggest a cheaper, but still race-worthy aluminum frame with good components that you could swap over to your next frame.

·
"Cypress Gardens" Fl.
686 Posts
16 ?????............

Man, I wish I could go back to being 16 and ride the way you ride.
But seriously, 'Cool hand's' recommendation for the CAAD-8 over the Six-13 makes a lot of sense. :)

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well, i know i want carbon...basically if you guys have any other suggestions from these brands(these are what i get discounts on from my local shop)...Specialized, Cannondale, Felt, Giant, & Serrota. The specialized Tarmac Pro looks good for full monoque carbon...any thing else i should look into?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Mr_Snips2 said:
well, i know i want carbon...basically if you guys have any other suggestions from these brands(these are what i get discounts on from my local shop)...Specialized, Cannondale, Felt, Giant, & Serrota. The specialized Tarmac Pro looks good for full monoque carbon...any thing else i should look into?
Don't go for a frame just because it has carbon. The caad 8 is almost as comfy as the 6/13 and lighter, stiffer and alot cheaper. If you can find an R6000(campy, ksyriums, $2,500 without discount) why would you not get it. You are young and buying it or the bling wich is a mistake. Be smart and go with the caad 8.

I hope i'm not being too harsh

·
Administrator
13,147 Posts
velodev said:
Why were Six13's a failure... just curious.
They were heavier then promised, did not ride all that well, cost well more then they should have, and much more then the similar CAAD8 bikes, while being heavier, not riding much better and running the same rear triangle.

Price wise they were matching up against full carbon offerings from their major competitors which were lighter and rode nicer.

For the original poster, this would make a very nice race bike for you:

http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/06/CUSA/model-6RR1D.html

At a much better price too.

Here is the replacement for the Six13:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech/?id=2006/features/cannondale_system_six

:)

·
Administrator
13,147 Posts
Mr_Snips2 said:
I would go with either the Specialized or Giants- really good bang for the buck. I love the Tarmac line right now. If the money gets tight look that the Allez line- there are a ton of them at every race for a reason.

·
Registered
180 Posts
trek5200cs said:
I thought I heard that the Six 13 was actually a stiffer ride than the CAAD8? I don't honestly know. Just asking.
My original Six13 (with the carbon seat tube) was very flexy. It was, however, a very fun bike to ride and it was very comfortable. I just had it replaced with the Fusion/Team 1version under warranty (paint finish issues, nothing structural), and the newer version is a lot stiffer, but it's not as much "fun." The CAAD (I have a CAAD 4 R2000 I still use, and I have ridden the 8 a few times) frames I have ridden are all stiffer than any of the Six13 frame types.

I always veiwed the Six13 as a really fast/comfortable bike, and not a true race bike. With the introduction of the Synapse a couple of years ago, I thought the Six13 would be gone sooner as the Synapse is cheaper and the CAAD 8 is a better racing frame (and cheaper).

I'm sure the System 6 is awesome, but if I wanted a bike for racing I would just buy a CAAD frame and save some $$$...

·
Registered
6 Posts
The posters above are wrong about weights. The six13 is lighter than the caad8 frame. In comparing a six13 team 2 to an r5000, my six13 is much lighter. The r5000 has full dura-ace, while my six13 has mainly ultegra. Also, you may find a six13 for a good price what with the new system sixes coming soon.

·
Registered
428 Posts
You're joking about the Six13 being lighter than the R5000, right?

Think about it: the Six13 is a Caad8 rear mated to a carbon/aluminum front triangle. Wouldn't you think the carbon/alu.interface would weigh more than just "beer can thin" aluminum tubing? All the other junctions are the same welding.

·
Registered
6 Posts
In theory you would be right, but as we all know theory isn't always correct. A friend of mine rides an r5000 and I ride a six13 team 2. I compared both of the bikes and the six13 was lighter. I picked both of them up and could feel a significant difference. His bike had lighter components than mine. Do any of you actually own either of these bikes?

·
Registered
428 Posts
I have a 54 R5000...

It was stripped when I got it so that it could be custom painted. My friend purchased his Six13 in a 54 at the same time through our team discount and had it stripped so that it could be painted. With all the components removed and the same size frame, my R5000 was 35 grams lighter. Both frames were weighed prior to painting. Not much weight difference, I know. Keep in mind, these are 05 models. I believe the 06 Six13 eliminated the carbon in the seattube. This may have lightened it slightly. But, I believe the Caad8 would still be lighter if only by a few grams.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The 2005 six13 was a bit heavier than the 2006 model which I have. As far as it being a failure, I wouldn't go so far as saying that. I believe it was Gilberto Simoni who said the six13 was the best bike he had ever ridden. I think he might know a little more about how race-worthy a bike is than anyone posting on these forums. A six13 is not a bad choice for crits. However, they are right in saying that a caad8 would be stiffer. The six13 isn't that stiff.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.