Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am buying a bike, hopefully by this weekend :). I have narrowed down the candidates to the cannondale Synapse and the Allez Elite.

Cannondale Synapse 6- I like this bike because, from what I can tell, it has a high quality frame (for the price range of $1100) and has a decent wheelset. Feels good, eliminates road buzz ect

Allez Elite- I like it. Also fast, smooth handling ect. But the frame seems a bit lower quality. It looks basically the same except they sawed off the seat stays shoved in some carbon fiber and glued it all back together. The cannondale is nicely integrated. The wheels are Jalco something or other. They performed well enough but I don't know how they will hold up ect.

I am focusing on the frame and wheels. I will swap out key components like the rear derailleur to 105 over time and maybe the shift levers to 105. I want my money to go to the frame as wheels as I am unwilling to upgrade these (frame for many years wheels until I break them). Any thoughts?

Also, I just saw the Cannondale CAAD line is within my price range. But it falls into the Elite category for cannondale. It seems like this is older technology but it seems like the CAAD line is not getting much attention.

If you want to throw a wrench in my soon to be purchased wheels feel free to offer up other bike suggestions in the 1100 dollar range.

Thanks!

· Registered
449 Posts
Probably similar quality

I'll admit I haven't looked at either close up, but both companies, in my opinion, make good frames for the money. I've purchased both -- a Cannondale MTB and a SPecialized road bike. The lower-priced bikes typically use the same frame as those 2 or 3 steps up the food chain. I'd guess that the frames are both good quality, just ride them and see which one does it for you most.

Cannondale markets the Synapse as more of a recreational, long-distance frame while the Allez is positioned more as a race-oriented bike. But, I took a quick look at their geometry specs and didn't see any dramatic differences. Ride 'em and pick one.

· Registered
436 Posts
two different style of bikes. synapse to roubaix. caad to allez. maybe you should figure out which style is better/more suited to your riding.

i would probably look at frame and components.

bikes in the 1100 range are going to have comparable wheels. one isnt going to be any better than the others. so personally, i wouldn't even care about the differences in the wheels. and really wheels are easily upgradeable without costing a fortune.

· Registered
2,480 Posts
Wheels in the 1100 price range are junk. You really don't get anything decent for less than 2k. Focus on the non wearing components and frame and get yerself a new set of wheels when you can afford it. Better yet, get the one thats the most fun to ride.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.