Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm riding a Trek 5200. Like the frame but I'm now 50yo and want something with a little more comfortable position. I love the carbon fibre feel and it's smooth but I think I'm a bit too low and stretched.

I think either a Synapse or the Robaix CF bikes are the alternatives. Not interested in custom.

I want something more upright but still with 'sporty' feeling.

Both bikes have received great reveiws and I'm sure both are superb bikes.

Can anyone compare them head to head? The Roubaix has a 72.5 head angle while the Synapse hs a 73.5. The Head Tube is a little longer on the Roubaix.

On short rides, the Synapse felt more responsive to me, but that's what sold me on the Trek 5200 and I don't want to make the same mistake.
Is the Roubaix more 'relaxed' than the Synapse? Is it more of a 'comfort' geometry? Or are they both very similar and it's just up to which 'speaks to me'?

I'm not worried about components as I will swap these to suit my needs (for example, I have an FSA compact crank on my Trek)

thanks
P.S. I want to do 75km to 100km weekend rides.

·
Registered
138 Posts
You pretty much nailed it. The Roubaix is a little more laid back and the Synapse is a little more responsive. Both bikes are great really and yes it is up to what bike speaks to you.

The Roubaix Spoke to me...but then last night the SystemSIX did too...but in a different way.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I may be wrong, but I have the impression the Pilot is less of a performance bike so the other two seem to make more sense to me.
But you are right, these are the 3 high end CF bikes that purport to combine comfort with performance.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess what I want to know is: is the Synapse enough of a comfort geometry that it will be noticeably different from my Trek 5200, or do I have to move all the way to a Roubaix?

As for vibration dampening and all that stuff, my 5200 is great so I don't think it will make a difference to me in that regard between the Synapse and the Roubaix.

It's the geometry. As I've said, I want a more upright comfortable position and would like to acheive that with the Synapse rather than the Specialized if at all possible.

thanks

·
Registered
138 Posts
fredf said:
It's the geometry. As I've said, I want a more upright comfortable position and would like to acheive that with the Synapse rather than the Specialized if at all possible.
You can do it but it is all about how you want the bike set up. If you don't like spacers and a stem with rise then it will be harder. It really depends on the size you pick and your body yada yada yada.

·
Registered
177 Posts
fredf said:
I guess what I want to know is: is the Synapse enough of a comfort geometry that it will be noticeably different from my Trek 5200, or do I have to move all the way to a Roubaix?

As for vibration dampening and all that stuff, my 5200 is great so I don't think it will make a difference to me in that regard between the Synapse and the Roubaix.

thanks
I test rode both the Synapse 1 Carbon, and a Roubiax Comp. (That's the only one they had, or I would have tried the Roubiax Pro). Both frames felt very supple, compliant and comfy. FYI - I also currently ride a Trek 5200 ('01)

The Synapse felt more like a natural fit to me than the Roubaix did. I felt like I falling 'into' the bars on the Roubaix. I didn't like that at all. Maybe the seat was not angled properly or something else was not set up correctly. Not sure. But I've learned to trust my instincts. I like the Synapse better than the Roubaix based only on a couple 10 mile test rides. (I am not dissing the Roubaix in any way. The frame certainly felt reallly nice. It's all so subjective and 'fit' has a lot to do with it. I might test ride another Roubaix at some point since I'm not in a hurry. But I am leaning to the Cannondale Synapse 1. PS: Love the FSA K-Wing handlebar. What a comfortable bar!

·
Registered
309 Posts
fredf said:
I'm riding a Trek 5200. Like the frame but I'm now 50yo and want something with a little more comfortable position. I love the carbon fibre feel and it's smooth but I think I'm a bit too low and stretched.

I think either a Synapse or the Robaix CF bikes are the alternatives. Not interested in custom.

I want something more upright but still with 'sporty' feeling.

Both bikes have received great reveiws and I'm sure both are superb bikes.

Can anyone compare them head to head? The Roubaix has a 72.5 head angle while the Synapse hs a 73.5. The Head Tube is a little longer on the Roubaix.

On short rides, the Synapse felt more responsive to me, but that's what sold me on the Trek 5200 and I don't want to make the same mistake.
Is the Roubaix more 'relaxed' than the Synapse? Is it more of a 'comfort' geometry? Or are they both very similar and it's just up to which 'speaks to me'?

I'm not worried about components as I will swap these to suit my needs (for example, I have an FSA compact crank on my Trek)

thanks
P.S. I want to do 75km to 100km weekend rides.
Did you talk to a good fitter? Might make sense to have an evaluation, which might point you in the right direction as to which bike will fit better. Or, who knows, maybe with some components swapped out, your 5200 will do the job.

·
Banned
476 Posts
I think I have read that both these bikes and scott and fuji all have frames from same maker in China - called topkey I think

what is odd about this to me is - Cannondale and Fuji are way different in price
why would that be if the frames are both from topkey in China

·
Incredibly slow
581 Posts
collectorvelo said:
I think I have read that both these bikes and scott and fuji all have frames from same maker in China - called topkey I think

what is odd about this to me is - Cannondale and Fuji are way different in price
Why are different Cinelli frames not the same price? Why aren't all Colnago frames the same price? Why aren't all frames from all manufacturers the same price?

·
Banned
476 Posts
this is a fun question

bwana said:
Why are different Cinelli frames not the same price? Why aren't all Colnago frames the same price? Why aren't all frames from all manufacturers the same price?

However, in the case of different Colnago frames I can tell the difference
but between the Cannondale and Fuji carbon frames that come from the same factory
I can not tell the difference

·
Registered
9,274 Posts
Assuming facts not in evidence...

Originally Posted by collectorvelo:

What does "I think I read' mean? What does "called topkey I think" mean? You either read it or you didn't. If you read it, please provide the evidence. That would make your statement credible. Otherwise, you're just guessing.

·
SoCal--S Beach to the Dam
1,032 Posts
trek5200cs said:
I test rode both the Synapse 1 Carbon, and a Roubiax Comp. (That's the only one they had, or I would have tried the Roubiax Pro). Both frames felt very supple, compliant and comfy. FYI - I also currently ride a Trek 5200 ('01)

The Synapse felt more like a natural fit to me than the Roubaix did. I felt like I falling 'into' the bars on the Roubaix. I didn't like that at all. Maybe the seat was not angled properly or something else was not set up correctly. Not sure. But I've learned to trust my instincts. I like the Synapse better than the Roubaix based only on a couple 10 mile test rides. (I am not dissing the Roubaix in any way. The frame certainly felt reallly nice. It's all so subjective and 'fit' has a lot to do with it. I might test ride another Roubaix at some point since I'm not in a hurry. But I am leaning to the Cannondale Synapse 1. PS: Love the FSA K-Wing handlebar. What a comfortable bar!
And i tested both and got the Roubaix because i was looking for a more relaxed geometery and both filled the bill but the Roubaix was more relaxed then the CD and from what i had read,the Roubaix is suppose to be one of the strongest carbon built frames.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Nope...

collectorvelo said:

Topeak (owned by Giant) made Scott's last year, but no longer - Scott has their own factory in Taiwan now - I think Giant still runs it, but of that I'm not totally sure. Scott's used to come with the Topeak checklist in the box with initials from everyone who worked on the frame - pretty cool they left that in there.

Fuji's, despite claims to the contrary, aren't even close to the Scott CR1, although the head tube/top tube junction looks similar, as does the weave, but otherwise a comparison isn't at all fair. Topeak makes them, hence the similar look, but a much less extensive manufacturing process than any of the other three mentioned. Never for a moment think the ol' adage, "You get what you pay for" doesn't apply to Asian manufacturing - there's a reason some companies can sell thier bikes cheaper. Doesn't make them bad bikes, or even inferior, you're just not paying for quality like the others.

Specialized, although partially owned by Meridia, has their S-Works frame built in the Topeak factory in a very similar process to the CR1, but has yet to be able to reproduce the process exactly (contractual - Scott has exclusivity to the complete process) - still a good bike, although if you can get a look at the Specialized employee manual, they rate the CR1 ahead of their own bike for durability (but both way ahead of any other bike they tested, but it's a Specialized test so...). Note I said in the Topeak factory, not built by Topeak - it's all quite confusing at times.

I haven't figured out yet who makes the Synapse, but the manufacturing quality is exceptional. I give C-Dale props for getting it right the first time.

Asian manufacturing is very convoluted, it's hard to tell who owns who, although you're rarely more than a couple of steps removed from Giant, who dominates the market over there. Giant has their hand in everything - they're huge.

·
Banned
476 Posts
posted by cannondale

jm3 said:
Topeak (owned by Giant) made Scott's last year, but no longer - Scott has their own factory in Taiwan now - I think Giant still runs it, but of that I'm not totally sure. Scott's used to come with the Topeak checklist in the box with initials from everyone who worked on the frame - pretty cool they left that in there.

Fuji's, despite claims to the contrary, aren't even close to the Scott CR1, although the head tube/top tube junction looks similar, as does the weave, but otherwise a comparison isn't at all fair. Topeak makes them, hence the similar look, but a much less extensive manufacturing process than any of the other three mentioned. Never for a moment think the ol' adage, "You get what you pay for" doesn't apply to Asian manufacturing - there's a reason some companies can sell thier bikes cheaper. Doesn't make them bad bikes, or even inferior, you're just not paying for quality like the others.

Specialized, although partially owned by Meridia, has their S-Works frame built in the Topeak factory in a very similar process to the CR1, but has yet to be able to reproduce the process exactly (contractual - Scott has exclusivity to the complete process) - still a good bike, although if you can get a look at the Specialized employee manual, they rate the CR1 ahead of their own bike for durability (but both way ahead of any other bike they tested, but it's a Specialized test so...). Note I said in the Topeak factory, not built by Topeak - it's all quite confusing at times.

I haven't figured out yet who makes the Synapse, but the manufacturing quality is exceptional. I give C-Dale props for getting it right the first time.

Asian manufacturing is very convoluted, it's hard to tell who owns who, although you're rarely more than a couple of steps removed from Giant, who dominates the market over there. Giant has their hand in everything - they're huge.
it was announced and posted by cannondale on the bicycle retailer news - which anyone can access - takes no log in - that topkey makes their frame in china

You will also find that the Fuji, Scott, and Specialized all use frames made in China - then shipped to Taiwan for final assembly

and I have seen no evidence that any full monocoque carbon frame has a long term performance of durability difference over another - especially comparing frames out of the same factory

·
Registered
228 Posts
jm3 said:
Topeak (owned by Giant) made Scott's last year, but no longer -
It's Topkey, not Topeak. Topeak is the in-house brand for Todson, an industry distributor.

·
Registered
169 Posts
fredf said:

thanks
I've owned a '04 Trek 5200 and currently own a '04 Roubaix Comp. For me, the Roubaix is the superior ride. It's smoother, yet more responsive. It's handling characteristics are more forgiving and less "nervous" as well. Sorry, can't speak for the Synapse,but the Roubaix will definately put you in a more upright position and TO ME , it feels more lively and fun to ride than the 5200 ever did.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.